pattern databases

  • Jan-Georg Smaus
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      the book explains pattern databases on page 107 (2nd ed.). It says that it
      is currently unknown how how the pattern database approach can be applied
      to Rubik's cube. However there is now the work by Korf

      @InProceedings{Kor97,
      author = {Richard E. Korf},
      title = {Finding Optimal Solutions to {R}ubik's {C}ube Using
      Pattern Databases},
      booktitle = {Proceedings of the 14th National Conference on
      Artificial
      Intelligence and 9th Innovative Applications of
      Artificial Intelligence Conference},
      pages = {700-705},
      year = 1997,
      publisher = {MIT Press}
      }

      which addresses this question. It would be nice if the authors could
      mention this work.

      Cheers,
      Jan Smaus, Freiburg
    • davidkwuman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2007
        This is a pretty late response to an old question. I'm not sure if
        the original requester is still interested, but here is my attempt to
        explain.

        The book actually does NOT say that it is currently unknown how the
        pattern database approach can be applied to the Rubik's cube problem.
        What's unknown is the formulation of "Disjoint Pattern Databases"
        to solve the Rubik's cube problem.

        Korf's 1995 paper actually does NOT use a disjoint pattern database
        approach to solve the problem, which would require moves of one
        pattern database to be disjoint from moves of another pattern
        database. When disjoint pattern databases are used, disjoint moves
        from different pattern databases are "summed" as opposed to "max-ed",
        which is what Korf did.

        David