Re: Digest Number 303

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28 10:41 AM
      The index in my edition (2nd) gives only two mentions
      of convolution: pg 869 and pg 899. These are in chapter
      24, not ch. 25. So I'm not sure what you're looking at.
      But in general, when you apply a convolution to an image,
      the "image function" is just the pixel value at each
      (x,y) location. The value you use will depend on context
      - what you want to do. A commonly used value is pixel
      brightness. A white pixel has brightness 255, and a black
      one has brightness 0. If you're starting from a color
      image, you can calculate brightness by averaging the red,
      blue, and green values at pixel (x,y).

      Here's a good explanation of convolution in an image-
      processing context:
      http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/hipr/html/convolve.html

      - Robin

      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, shivam shukla <shirohin@y...> wrote:

      > hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the
      convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an
      image function.

      > it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a
      function is this image function.

      > thanx.
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now.
    • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29 5:52 AM
        I doubt if I can make the issues more clear, but I'll try.

        I still think the main problem lies in the phrase "if it were false". If
        a proposition in a set is "shown" to be false from observation rather
        than through logical proof, the proposition does not make the set
        inconsistent, because it *could* be true in some other possible world.
        If I recall correctly, that is how logical possibility is defined. Your
        ABC example is indeed inconsistent because it can be proved without
        observing the world state that the set contains at least one false sentence.

        So, according to the defintion of consistency, the authors mostly likely
        do not mean "if it were provably false". Otherwise, the argument would
        be employing a tautologus sentence: "if the sentence were provably
        false, then he (or in fact, anyone) could not consistently assert it to
        be true". One derives nothing from a tautology

        But, without the word "provably", I don't see how the contingent truth
        or falsity of a sentence have anything to do with consistency, for
        reasons above. Furthermore, it seems to me that J. R. Lucas just cannot
        consistently assert the sentence anyway, whether it is true or false.

        I do agree that we can do nothing formal without identifying the
        underlying logic system. Perhaps somebody can enlighten us?

        > Thanks for the interesting discussion.
        Thank you.

        Paul