Re: [aima-talk] Digest Number 303

  • The Geek
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
      I don't know if I'm explaining this very well.
      Someone else should feel free to chime in if they've
      got a better way of phrasing it...

      While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
      they're using a simple logic system and definition of
      "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
      allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
      acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
      you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
      introduced a contradiction.

      If we take 3 sentances:

      A = B.
      B = C.
      A != C.

      If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
      it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
      the definition of "consistency", they would say that
      we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
      since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

      The example is a little more complicated, since
      they're violating a couple of normal rules for logic
      systems - they have a sentance referring to the
      assertability of sentances. But if you reword the
      sentance to say "Agent A cannot assert this sentance
      without being wrong" I think it's a little more clear.

      In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
      assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
      sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
      contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
      same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
      it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
      so he's wrong.

      But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
      show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
      assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
      doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
      it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
      specific situation.

      Rob G.

      --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
        I will try to make some clarifications below:

        > While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
        > they're using a simple logic system and definition of
        > "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
        > allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
        > acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
        > you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
        > introduced a contradiction.

        Maybe our sources are different. AFAIK a contradiction is the negation
        of a tautology (P. Tidman and H. Kahane, Logic and Philosophy: A Modern
        Introduction, 8th edition, p48). For example, p^~p is a contradiction.
        So when I assert a contingently false sentence whose truth depends on
        the world, I introduce no contradiction. But maybe our definitions of
        contradiction differ.

        > If we take 3 sentances:
        >
        > A = B.
        > B = C.
        > A != C.
        >
        > If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
        > it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
        > the definition of "consistency", they would say that
        > we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
        > since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

        It is true that we would introduce inconsistency, but we would not
        introduce a contradiction. Of course, any set of sentences that contains
        any contradictory sentence is inconsistent, but not vice versa.

        > In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
        > assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
        > sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
        > contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
        > same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
        > it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
        > so he's wrong.

        I know what you are trying to say, but that I don't think we are talking
        about the same thing. The authors clearly intend to show two things:
        1. The sentence is a tautology (i.e. necessarily true).
        2. Yet, J. R. Lucas cannot assert it.
        They offer two arguments to show (1). What I do not understand is the
        their second argument to show (1). You are talking about (2), which I
        find no problem.

        > But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
        > show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
        > assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
        > doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
        > it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
        > specific situation.

        I do understand the point; it is simply that particular argument (the
        one on p950 in parentheses) that confuses me. As a philosophical
        treatment, I think the chapter should reasonably be taken literally, but
        when I do so, I cannot make sense of that particular argument.

        Paul
      • The Geek
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
          I think the discussion all boils down to the
          definition of "consistent" and "contradiction". I was
          kind of hoping one of the authors would chime in at
          some point to save me, but... :-) On page 137 they
          define consistency in reference to CSP problems as "an
          assignment that does not violate any constraints".
          That was the reason for my A,B,C example - looking at
          it as if it were a CSP.

          Their argument assumes the sentance must either be
          "true" or "false", (no quantuum physics or "unknown"
          values allowed) and hinges on the
          belief/assumption/fact one cannot "consistently"
          assert that a sentance is true if it can be shown to
          be false. If you buy into that, then their statement
          follows naturally - if the sentance was false, then he
          could not consistently assert it to be true, which
          would therefore make the sentance true - a
          contradiction since we assigned a value of "false" to
          the sentance at the beginning. The only way you can
          assign a value to the sentance and have everything
          hold together is if you assume it's true, which then
          implies that everyone else can assert it without a
          problem, but he cannot.

          But, at this point I don't think we're going to make
          any headway. Since they didn't define the logic
          system they're using, we can't really do anything
          formal.

          Thanks for the interesting discussion.

          Rob G.

          --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • shivam shukla
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005

            hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an image function.

             it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a function is this image function.

                      thanx.

          • Robin
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 28, 2005
              The index in my edition (2nd) gives only two mentions
              of convolution: pg 869 and pg 899. These are in chapter
              24, not ch. 25. So I'm not sure what you're looking at.
              But in general, when you apply a convolution to an image,
              the "image function" is just the pixel value at each
              (x,y) location. The value you use will depend on context
              - what you want to do. A commonly used value is pixel
              brightness. A white pixel has brightness 255, and a black
              one has brightness 0. If you're starting from a color
              image, you can calculate brightness by averaging the red,
              blue, and green values at pixel (x,y).

              Here's a good explanation of convolution in an image-
              processing context:
              http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/hipr/html/convolve.html

              - Robin

              --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, shivam shukla <shirohin@y...> wrote:

              > hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the
              convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an
              image function.

              > it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a
              function is this image function.

              > thanx.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now.
            • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
                I doubt if I can make the issues more clear, but I'll try.

                I still think the main problem lies in the phrase "if it were false". If
                a proposition in a set is "shown" to be false from observation rather
                than through logical proof, the proposition does not make the set
                inconsistent, because it *could* be true in some other possible world.
                If I recall correctly, that is how logical possibility is defined. Your
                ABC example is indeed inconsistent because it can be proved without
                observing the world state that the set contains at least one false sentence.

                So, according to the defintion of consistency, the authors mostly likely
                do not mean "if it were provably false". Otherwise, the argument would
                be employing a tautologus sentence: "if the sentence were provably
                false, then he (or in fact, anyone) could not consistently assert it to
                be true". One derives nothing from a tautology

                But, without the word "provably", I don't see how the contingent truth
                or falsity of a sentence have anything to do with consistency, for
                reasons above. Furthermore, it seems to me that J. R. Lucas just cannot
                consistently assert the sentence anyway, whether it is true or false.

                I do agree that we can do nothing formal without identifying the
                underlying logic system. Perhaps somebody can enlighten us?

                > Thanks for the interesting discussion.
                Thank you.

                Paul