Re: [aima-talk] Digest Number 303

  • The Geek
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 20, 2005
      I believe if you look at the "setup" on the previous
      page you'll see the authors intended the term
      "consistent" to be the logical definition. (see pages
      137 and 353) That is, for something to be consistent,
      it cannot be contradictory. Therefore, if the
      sentance were false, he couldn't assert the sentance
      and still be consistent, which therefore makes the
      sentance true.

      But the point of the paragraph is that because of the
      construction of the sentance, the agent "J.R. Lucas"
      cannot assert something that other agents can.
      However the authors are pointing out that this doesn't
      make him inferior.

      Rob G.

      --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 21, 2005
        But my question is that being false does *not* equal being contradictory
        (i.e. necessarily false). If the sentence were merely false but not
        contradictory, he surely could consistently assert it.

        So lets review the argument:

        "The sentence cannot be false, because if it were then Lucas could not
        consistently assert it, so it would be true."

        Consider two conditions:
        1. If the sentence were meant to be merely false, then Lucas could
        consistently assert it, so the argument is invalid.
        2. If the sentence were meant to be contradictory, then nobody could
        consistently assert it, but then the argument would have a very strange
        form: "if p were contradictory then A could not assert it, so p would be
        true." Consider the following argument of the same form: "If 'Saddam
        Hussein is the US President' were contradictory, then I could not assert
        it, so he would be the US President". Clearly absurd.

        Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

        Paul

      • The Geek
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2005
          I don't know if I'm explaining this very well.
          Someone else should feel free to chime in if they've
          got a better way of phrasing it...

          While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
          they're using a simple logic system and definition of
          "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
          allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
          acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
          you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
          introduced a contradiction.

          If we take 3 sentances:

          A = B.
          B = C.
          A != C.

          If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
          it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
          the definition of "consistency", they would say that
          we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
          since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

          The example is a little more complicated, since
          they're violating a couple of normal rules for logic
          systems - they have a sentance referring to the
          assertability of sentances. But if you reword the
          sentance to say "Agent A cannot assert this sentance
          without being wrong" I think it's a little more clear.

          In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
          assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
          sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
          contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
          same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
          it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
          so he's wrong.

          But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
          show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
          assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
          doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
          it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
          specific situation.

          Rob G.

          --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2005
            I will try to make some clarifications below:

            > While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
            > they're using a simple logic system and definition of
            > "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
            > allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
            > acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
            > you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
            > introduced a contradiction.

            Maybe our sources are different. AFAIK a contradiction is the negation
            of a tautology (P. Tidman and H. Kahane, Logic and Philosophy: A Modern
            Introduction, 8th edition, p48). For example, p^~p is a contradiction.
            So when I assert a contingently false sentence whose truth depends on
            the world, I introduce no contradiction. But maybe our definitions of
            contradiction differ.

            > If we take 3 sentances:
            >
            > A = B.
            > B = C.
            > A != C.
            >
            > If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
            > it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
            > the definition of "consistency", they would say that
            > we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
            > since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

            It is true that we would introduce inconsistency, but we would not
            introduce a contradiction. Of course, any set of sentences that contains
            any contradictory sentence is inconsistent, but not vice versa.

            > In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
            > assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
            > sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
            > contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
            > same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
            > it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
            > so he's wrong.

            I know what you are trying to say, but that I don't think we are talking
            about the same thing. The authors clearly intend to show two things:
            1. The sentence is a tautology (i.e. necessarily true).
            2. Yet, J. R. Lucas cannot assert it.
            They offer two arguments to show (1). What I do not understand is the
            their second argument to show (1). You are talking about (2), which I
            find no problem.

            > But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
            > show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
            > assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
            > doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
            > it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
            > specific situation.

            I do understand the point; it is simply that particular argument (the
            one on p950 in parentheses) that confuses me. As a philosophical
            treatment, I think the chapter should reasonably be taken literally, but
            when I do so, I cannot make sense of that particular argument.

            Paul
          • The Geek
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005
              I think the discussion all boils down to the
              definition of "consistent" and "contradiction". I was
              kind of hoping one of the authors would chime in at
              some point to save me, but... :-) On page 137 they
              define consistency in reference to CSP problems as "an
              assignment that does not violate any constraints".
              That was the reason for my A,B,C example - looking at
              it as if it were a CSP.

              Their argument assumes the sentance must either be
              "true" or "false", (no quantuum physics or "unknown"
              values allowed) and hinges on the
              belief/assumption/fact one cannot "consistently"
              assert that a sentance is true if it can be shown to
              be false. If you buy into that, then their statement
              follows naturally - if the sentance was false, then he
              could not consistently assert it to be true, which
              would therefore make the sentance true - a
              contradiction since we assigned a value of "false" to
              the sentance at the beginning. The only way you can
              assign a value to the sentance and have everything
              hold together is if you assume it's true, which then
              implies that everyone else can assert it without a
              problem, but he cannot.

              But, at this point I don't think we're going to make
              any headway. Since they didn't define the logic
              system they're using, we can't really do anything
              formal.

              Thanks for the interesting discussion.

              Rob G.

              --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • shivam shukla
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 27, 2005

                hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an image function.

                 it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a function is this image function.

                          thanx.

              • Robin
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 28, 2005
                  The index in my edition (2nd) gives only two mentions
                  of convolution: pg 869 and pg 899. These are in chapter
                  24, not ch. 25. So I'm not sure what you're looking at.
                  But in general, when you apply a convolution to an image,
                  the "image function" is just the pixel value at each
                  (x,y) location. The value you use will depend on context
                  - what you want to do. A commonly used value is pixel
                  brightness. A white pixel has brightness 255, and a black
                  one has brightness 0. If you're starting from a color
                  image, you can calculate brightness by averaging the red,
                  blue, and green values at pixel (x,y).

                  Here's a good explanation of convolution in an image-
                  processing context:
                  http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/hipr/html/convolve.html

                  - Robin

                  --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, shivam shukla <shirohin@y...> wrote:

                  > hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the
                  convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an
                  image function.

                  > it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a
                  function is this image function.

                  > thanx.
                  >

                  > ---------------------------------
                  > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now.
                • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 29, 2005
                    I doubt if I can make the issues more clear, but I'll try.

                    I still think the main problem lies in the phrase "if it were false". If
                    a proposition in a set is "shown" to be false from observation rather
                    than through logical proof, the proposition does not make the set
                    inconsistent, because it *could* be true in some other possible world.
                    If I recall correctly, that is how logical possibility is defined. Your
                    ABC example is indeed inconsistent because it can be proved without
                    observing the world state that the set contains at least one false sentence.

                    So, according to the defintion of consistency, the authors mostly likely
                    do not mean "if it were provably false". Otherwise, the argument would
                    be employing a tautologus sentence: "if the sentence were provably
                    false, then he (or in fact, anyone) could not consistently assert it to
                    be true". One derives nothing from a tautology

                    But, without the word "provably", I don't see how the contingent truth
                    or falsity of a sentence have anything to do with consistency, for
                    reasons above. Furthermore, it seems to me that J. R. Lucas just cannot
                    consistently assert the sentence anyway, whether it is true or false.

                    I do agree that we can do nothing formal without identifying the
                    underlying logic system. Perhaps somebody can enlighten us?

                    > Thanks for the interesting discussion.
                    Thank you.

                    Paul