Re: [aima-talk] Digest Number 303

  • Tommy Gun
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 16 5:59 AM

      Sounds like sort of a contradiction.  The words "cannot consistently" I think give it the flexability to sometimes be true and sometimes not.  If the sentence was definate all of the time, then it would just be a contradiction.   Take "this statement is definately false" is a contradiction, but if it were, "this statement is sometimes false" then there sometimes when it isn't a contradiction.  "cannot  consistently" basically says that's it's sorta random, so sometimes it could make sense.

      Not sure if that helps, but it's just my $.02...

       - Bruce

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:08:35 +0800
      From: Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Subject: Problem about the J.R. Lucas sentence

      Hi,

      On page 950, the book argues that the sentence "J. R. Lucas cannot
      consistently assert that this sentence is true." is necessarily true,
      but Lucas cannot consistently assert it. There are two arguments on that
      page. I found no problem with the first argument, but could not
      understand the second.

      Here is the second argument.

      "The sentence cannot be false, because if it were then Lucas could not
      consistently assert it, so it would be true."

      But, why couldn't Lucas consistently assert it /if it were false/? One
      can of course assert a false sentence and be consistent at the same
      time, because one is inconsistent if and only if it is /impossible/ that
      all his beliefs are true. If Lucas happens to believe a false sentence,
      he is still consistent.

      Please help/correct me.

      Paul

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19 8:46 AM
        Hi Bruce,

        I think "this statement is definitely false" is more a paradox than a
        contradiction, for when you decide it is false then it is true, and vice
        versa. A contradiction is always false. And "consistently" has two
        readings, one is the randomness you meant, and another reading common in
        philosophical literature is that it is possible for a set of
        propositions to all true. I'm just not sure which meaning the authors
        seem to imply.

        Paul

        Tommy Gun wrote:

        > Sounds like sort of a contradiction. The words "cannot
        > consistently" I think give it the flexability to sometimes be true
        > and sometimes not. If the sentence was definate all of the time,
        > then it would just be a contradiction. Take "this statement is
        > definately false" is a contradiction, but if it were, "this
        > statement is sometimes false" then there sometimes when it isn't a
        > contradiction. "cannot consistently" basically says that's it's
        > sorta random, so sometimes it could make sense.
        >
        > Not sure if that helps, but it's just my $.02...
        >
        > - Bruce
        >

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:08:35 +0800
        > From: Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
        > Subject: Problem about the J.R. Lucas sentence
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > On page 950, the book argues that the sentence "J. R. Lucas cannot
        > consistently assert that this sentence is true." is necessarily true,
        > but Lucas cannot consistently assert it. There are two arguments
        > on that
        > page. I found no problem with the first argument, but could not
        > understand the second.
        >
        > Here is the second argument.
        >
        > "The sentence cannot be false, because if it were then Lucas could not
        > consistently assert it, so it would be true."
        >
        > But, why couldn't Lucas consistently assert it /if it were false/? One
        > can of course assert a false sentence and be consistent at the same
        > time, because one is inconsistent if and only if it is
        > /impossible/ that
        > all his beliefs are true. If Lucas happens to believe a false
        > sentence,
        > he is still consistent.
        >
        > Please help/correct me.
        >
        > Paul

      • The Geek
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 20 10:10 AM
          I believe if you look at the "setup" on the previous
          page you'll see the authors intended the term
          "consistent" to be the logical definition. (see pages
          137 and 353) That is, for something to be consistent,
          it cannot be contradictory. Therefore, if the
          sentance were false, he couldn't assert the sentance
          and still be consistent, which therefore makes the
          sentance true.

          But the point of the paragraph is that because of the
          construction of the sentance, the agent "J.R. Lucas"
          cannot assert something that other agents can.
          However the authors are pointing out that this doesn't
          make him inferior.

          Rob G.

          --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 21 12:01 AM
            But my question is that being false does *not* equal being contradictory
            (i.e. necessarily false). If the sentence were merely false but not
            contradictory, he surely could consistently assert it.

            So lets review the argument:

            "The sentence cannot be false, because if it were then Lucas could not
            consistently assert it, so it would be true."

            Consider two conditions:
            1. If the sentence were meant to be merely false, then Lucas could
            consistently assert it, so the argument is invalid.
            2. If the sentence were meant to be contradictory, then nobody could
            consistently assert it, but then the argument would have a very strange
            form: "if p were contradictory then A could not assert it, so p would be
            true." Consider the following argument of the same form: "If 'Saddam
            Hussein is the US President' were contradictory, then I could not assert
            it, so he would be the US President". Clearly absurd.

            Again, please correct me if I am wrong.

            Paul

          • The Geek
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23 6:44 AM
              I don't know if I'm explaining this very well.
              Someone else should feel free to chime in if they've
              got a better way of phrasing it...

              While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
              they're using a simple logic system and definition of
              "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
              allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
              acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
              you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
              introduced a contradiction.

              If we take 3 sentances:

              A = B.
              B = C.
              A != C.

              If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
              it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
              the definition of "consistency", they would say that
              we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
              since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

              The example is a little more complicated, since
              they're violating a couple of normal rules for logic
              systems - they have a sentance referring to the
              assertability of sentances. But if you reword the
              sentance to say "Agent A cannot assert this sentance
              without being wrong" I think it's a little more clear.

              In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
              assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
              sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
              contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
              same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
              it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
              so he's wrong.

              But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
              show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
              assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
              doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
              it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
              specific situation.

              Rob G.

              --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24 5:45 AM
                I will try to make some clarifications below:

                > While they haven't spelled it out in detail, I think
                > they're using a simple logic system and definition of
                > "consistent". In other words, they're not trying to
                > allow for an "agent belief" representation where we
                > acknowledge that beliefs might be wrong. Instead, if
                > you assert a sentance it must be true or you've
                > introduced a contradiction.

                Maybe our sources are different. AFAIK a contradiction is the negation
                of a tautology (P. Tidman and H. Kahane, Logic and Philosophy: A Modern
                Introduction, 8th edition, p48). For example, p^~p is a contradiction.
                So when I assert a contingently false sentence whose truth depends on
                the world, I introduce no contradiction. But maybe our definitions of
                contradiction differ.

                > If we take 3 sentances:
                >
                > A = B.
                > B = C.
                > A != C.
                >
                > If we try to assert all three sentances, we cannot do
                > it without creating a contradiction. Since this is
                > the definition of "consistency", they would say that
                > we cannot "consistently" assert all three sentances,
                > since doing so would introduce a contradiction.

                It is true that we would introduce inconsistency, but we would not
                introduce a contradiction. Of course, any set of sentences that contains
                any contradictory sentence is inconsistent, but not vice versa.

                > In this case, as an agent **I** can consistently
                > assert the sentance "Agent A cannot assert this
                > sentance without being wrong" without introducing a
                > contradiction. However if Agent A tries to assert the
                > same sentance, he runs into a problem. If he asserts
                > it as true and is right, then the sentance is false,
                > so he's wrong.

                I know what you are trying to say, but that I don't think we are talking
                about the same thing. The authors clearly intend to show two things:
                1. The sentence is a tautology (i.e. necessarily true).
                2. Yet, J. R. Lucas cannot assert it.
                They offer two arguments to show (1). What I do not understand is the
                their second argument to show (1). You are talking about (2), which I
                find no problem.

                > But the whole point of the illustration is simply to
                > show that **sometimes** one agent is unable to
                > assert/know/do things that another agent can, but that
                > doesn't automatically imply that agent is inferior,
                > it's inability to assert/know/do may be related to the
                > specific situation.

                I do understand the point; it is simply that particular argument (the
                one on p950 in parentheses) that confuses me. As a philosophical
                treatment, I think the chapter should reasonably be taken literally, but
                when I do so, I cannot make sense of that particular argument.

                Paul
              • The Geek
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 27 6:09 AM
                  I think the discussion all boils down to the
                  definition of "consistent" and "contradiction". I was
                  kind of hoping one of the authors would chime in at
                  some point to save me, but... :-) On page 137 they
                  define consistency in reference to CSP problems as "an
                  assignment that does not violate any constraints".
                  That was the reason for my A,B,C example - looking at
                  it as if it were a CSP.

                  Their argument assumes the sentance must either be
                  "true" or "false", (no quantuum physics or "unknown"
                  values allowed) and hinges on the
                  belief/assumption/fact one cannot "consistently"
                  assert that a sentance is true if it can be shown to
                  be false. If you buy into that, then their statement
                  follows naturally - if the sentance was false, then he
                  could not consistently assert it to be true, which
                  would therefore make the sentance true - a
                  contradiction since we assigned a value of "false" to
                  the sentance at the beginning. The only way you can
                  assign a value to the sentance and have everything
                  hold together is if you assume it's true, which then
                  implies that everyone else can assert it without a
                  problem, but he cannot.

                  But, at this point I don't think we're going to make
                  any headway. Since they didn't define the logic
                  system they're using, we can't really do anything
                  formal.

                  Thanks for the interesting discussion.

                  Rob G.

                  --- Paul Hsueh-Min Chang <avatar@...>

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • shivam shukla
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 27 10:34 PM

                    hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an image function.

                     it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a function is this image function.

                              thanx.

                  • Robin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 28 10:41 AM
                      The index in my edition (2nd) gives only two mentions
                      of convolution: pg 869 and pg 899. These are in chapter
                      24, not ch. 25. So I'm not sure what you're looking at.
                      But in general, when you apply a convolution to an image,
                      the "image function" is just the pixel value at each
                      (x,y) location. The value you use will depend on context
                      - what you want to do. A commonly used value is pixel
                      brightness. A white pixel has brightness 255, and a black
                      one has brightness 0. If you're starting from a color
                      image, you can calculate brightness by averaging the red,
                      blue, and green values at pixel (x,y).

                      Here's a good explanation of convolution in an image-
                      processing context:
                      http://www.cee.hw.ac.uk/hipr/html/convolve.html

                      - Robin

                      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, shivam shukla <shirohin@y...> wrote:

                      > hey everybody am doing a project on image processing n am using the
                      convolution theorem given in chapter 25.in tht am not able to get an
                      image function.

                      > it would be a great help for me if anyone could tell wat sort of a
                      function is this image function.

                      > thanx.
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner now.
                    • Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 29 5:52 AM
                        I doubt if I can make the issues more clear, but I'll try.

                        I still think the main problem lies in the phrase "if it were false". If
                        a proposition in a set is "shown" to be false from observation rather
                        than through logical proof, the proposition does not make the set
                        inconsistent, because it *could* be true in some other possible world.
                        If I recall correctly, that is how logical possibility is defined. Your
                        ABC example is indeed inconsistent because it can be proved without
                        observing the world state that the set contains at least one false sentence.

                        So, according to the defintion of consistency, the authors mostly likely
                        do not mean "if it were provably false". Otherwise, the argument would
                        be employing a tautologus sentence: "if the sentence were provably
                        false, then he (or in fact, anyone) could not consistently assert it to
                        be true". One derives nothing from a tautology

                        But, without the word "provably", I don't see how the contingent truth
                        or falsity of a sentence have anything to do with consistency, for
                        reasons above. Furthermore, it seems to me that J. R. Lucas just cannot
                        consistently assert the sentence anyway, whether it is true or false.

                        I do agree that we can do nothing formal without identifying the
                        underlying logic system. Perhaps somebody can enlighten us?

                        > Thanks for the interesting discussion.
                        Thank you.

                        Paul