Re: [aima-talk] Programming

  • Steven Shaw
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
      On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:39:41 +0100, Ivan Villanueva
      <ivan@...> wrote:

      > Hello Unknown (I think it is not polite to avoid your name in a
      > mailing list),
      >
      > > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
      > > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
      > > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
      > > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
      > > Visual Basic.net,
      >
      > The worst choice. Sorry.

      Wrong! Be serious! There would be plenty of languages more worse for
      plenty of different reasons. COBOL, PL/1...

      > > I still want to learn those other languages, but
      > > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
      > > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
      > > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
      > > would you say is the best for AI programming?
      >
      > Probably you can program what you want in VB, but I would recommend to
      > learn anything else: python. You can learn everything you need reading
      > a few pages. Check out:
      > http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

      Everything I ever need? Just afew pages - what are the rest for?

      I like Python but please don't overstate things. I've a friend who
      programs in VB.NET. He tell me that there's only afew things you can
      do in C# that you can't do in VB.NET (he still prefers C#). C# is so
      close to Java that if you can make a reasonable implementation in Java
      then I assume you can make one in VB.NET.

      If deliverly on the .NET platform is the main constraint (otherwise
      you could simply use Java or Lisp), you could consider IronPython - a
      recent Python implementation for .NET. From what I've read it sounds
      pretty wonderful (apparently can be faster than CPython)!

      As most DotNetists seem to use C#, you should probably consider using
      that rather than VB if there is no constraint - purely from a
      marketable skills point of view.

      If you'd like to learn a language that you won't probably use in your
      professional career, perhaps the best is Common Lisp. It will provide
      the most insights. I read bits of On Lisp, Lisp in Small Pieces, PAIP
      and such when I can get a chance. Another option is Ruby. I like Ruby
      alot - it is the most fun :-).

      --
      Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw
    • mohammad zali
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hello

        You are really a student?

        Bye

        kroax2 <kroax2@...> wrote:

        I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
        Approach".  I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
        looks more or less something like Java.  I'm not to certain myself.
        My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
        Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
        for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
        AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
        should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
        would you say is the best for AI programming?

        Thanx

        ���� ���ی

      • Osamah alsaidi