Re: Programming

  • Brandon Corfman
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kroax2" <kroax2@y...> wrote:

      > <snip>
      > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
      > Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
      > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
      > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
      <snip>

      I think VB.NET would be fine for agent programming since it has
      object-oriented features, and that's important when you're
      representing agents as objects in your system. The thing you may find
      difficult is that none of the AIMA sample code is written in VB, so if
      you want to understand the samples that have been provided, you'll
      need to understand Lisp, Java or Python. Of course, you can always
      write your code without looking at the samples. I've written C++ and
      Python implementations of many exercises without reading anything
      except the book, but be prepared to invest more time if you write
      something from scratch.

      Best regards,
      Brandon
    • Ravi Mohan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
        Dear "Kroax",
        I am the maintainer of the aima java code .
        a couple of points in regard to your query,
        From my experience , a language like lisp or python or ruby is the
        most "suited" to ai programming because of
        1)dynamic typing
        2) "built in" common data structure like hashtables and lists . This
        avoid a LOT of code bloat and makes traversal of trees etc a lot easier.
        3)it is easier to write small interpreters in languages like python or
        ruby or lisp vs languages like java or c# .This is particularly
        important for the logic chapters.
        4)they embody multiple paradigms (functional , object oriented etc)
        wheras languages like java or C# are more or less only OO .The OO
        version of an algorithm can look superficially very different from a
        fucntional version .

        Having said all that, i belive the pseudo code in AIMA is VERY
        amenable to implementation in any language you could think of. You
        need to carefully balance the potential benefits of learning a new
        language vs using what you laready know . Unfortunately this is a
        decision only you can make .

        I don't know enough about VB .net to comment. However i would be every
        surprised if it turned out to be hard .If the code can be writen in
        jvava it can be written in any decent language . :-)

        May be the best thing to do would be to take the pseudo code form any
        ONE chapter and try implementing it in VB.net . that will tell you far
        more about the suitability or othewise of the language than speculation .

        And of course, as Ivan pointed out you have lisp, python and a couple
        of variants of the java code to look at .

        Regds,
        ravi

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kroax2" <kroax2@y...> wrote:

        > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
        > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
        > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
        > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
        > Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
        > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
        > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
        > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
        > would you say is the best for AI programming?
        >
        > Thanx
      • Steven Shaw
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
          On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:39:41 +0100, Ivan Villanueva
          <ivan@...> wrote:

          > Hello Unknown (I think it is not polite to avoid your name in a
          > mailing list),
          >
          > > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
          > > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
          > > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
          > > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
          > > Visual Basic.net,
          >
          > The worst choice. Sorry.

          Wrong! Be serious! There would be plenty of languages more worse for
          plenty of different reasons. COBOL, PL/1...

          > > I still want to learn those other languages, but
          > > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
          > > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
          > > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
          > > would you say is the best for AI programming?
          >
          > Probably you can program what you want in VB, but I would recommend to
          > learn anything else: python. You can learn everything you need reading
          > a few pages. Check out:
          > http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

          Everything I ever need? Just afew pages - what are the rest for?

          I like Python but please don't overstate things. I've a friend who
          programs in VB.NET. He tell me that there's only afew things you can
          do in C# that you can't do in VB.NET (he still prefers C#). C# is so
          close to Java that if you can make a reasonable implementation in Java
          then I assume you can make one in VB.NET.

          If deliverly on the .NET platform is the main constraint (otherwise
          you could simply use Java or Lisp), you could consider IronPython - a
          recent Python implementation for .NET. From what I've read it sounds
          pretty wonderful (apparently can be faster than CPython)!

          As most DotNetists seem to use C#, you should probably consider using
          that rather than VB if there is no constraint - purely from a
          marketable skills point of view.

          If you'd like to learn a language that you won't probably use in your
          professional career, perhaps the best is Common Lisp. It will provide
          the most insights. I read bits of On Lisp, Lisp in Small Pieces, PAIP
          and such when I can get a chance. Another option is Ruby. I like Ruby
          alot - it is the most fun :-).

          --
          Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw
        • mohammad zali
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
            Hello

            You are really a student?

            Bye

            kroax2 <kroax2@...> wrote:

            I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
            Approach".  I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
            looks more or less something like Java.  I'm not to certain myself.
            My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
            Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
            for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
            AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
            should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
            would you say is the best for AI programming?

            Thanx

            ���� ���ی

          • Osamah alsaidi