Programming

  • kroax2
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2005
      I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
      Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
      looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
      My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
      Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
      for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
      AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
      should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
      would you say is the best for AI programming?

      Thanx
    • Ivan Villanueva
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
        Hello Unknown (I think it is not polite to avoid your name in a
        mailing list),

        > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
        > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
        > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
        > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
        > Visual Basic.net,

        The worst choice. Sorry.

        > I still want to learn those other languages, but
        > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
        > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
        > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
        > would you say is the best for AI programming?

        Probably you can program what you want in VB, but I would recommend to
        learn anything else: python. You can learn everything you need reading
        a few pages. Check out:
        http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

        For almost everything in the book there is a wonderful implementation in
        Python at: http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/python/readme.html

        With very few effort you can be able to understand the code, and use it
        for your own course, adding and changing things.

        There is other implementations of the code in the book, but they are far
        from being easy and fast to understand if you don't know the language
        (and probably even so):
        Lisp by Peter Norvig, A Java implementation without too much comments by
        Ravi Mohan, and another Java implementation of the first chapters by
        myself (you can see a runnable applet example at:
        http://www.artificialidea.com/java_examples/uninformed_search/index.html)

        Iván Villanueva
      • Brandon Corfman
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kroax2" <kroax2@y...> wrote:

          > <snip>
          > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
          > Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
          > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
          > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
          <snip>

          I think VB.NET would be fine for agent programming since it has
          object-oriented features, and that's important when you're
          representing agents as objects in your system. The thing you may find
          difficult is that none of the AIMA sample code is written in VB, so if
          you want to understand the samples that have been provided, you'll
          need to understand Lisp, Java or Python. Of course, you can always
          write your code without looking at the samples. I've written C++ and
          Python implementations of many exercises without reading anything
          except the book, but be prepared to invest more time if you write
          something from scratch.

          Best regards,
          Brandon
        • Ravi Mohan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
            Dear "Kroax",
            I am the maintainer of the aima java code .
            a couple of points in regard to your query,
            From my experience , a language like lisp or python or ruby is the
            most "suited" to ai programming because of
            1)dynamic typing
            2) "built in" common data structure like hashtables and lists . This
            avoid a LOT of code bloat and makes traversal of trees etc a lot easier.
            3)it is easier to write small interpreters in languages like python or
            ruby or lisp vs languages like java or c# .This is particularly
            important for the logic chapters.
            4)they embody multiple paradigms (functional , object oriented etc)
            wheras languages like java or C# are more or less only OO .The OO
            version of an algorithm can look superficially very different from a
            fucntional version .

            Having said all that, i belive the pseudo code in AIMA is VERY
            amenable to implementation in any language you could think of. You
            need to carefully balance the potential benefits of learning a new
            language vs using what you laready know . Unfortunately this is a
            decision only you can make .

            I don't know enough about VB .net to comment. However i would be every
            surprised if it turned out to be hard .If the code can be writen in
            jvava it can be written in any decent language . :-)

            May be the best thing to do would be to take the pseudo code form any
            ONE chapter and try implementing it in VB.net . that will tell you far
            more about the suitability or othewise of the language than speculation .

            And of course, as Ivan pointed out you have lisp, python and a couple
            of variants of the java code to look at .

            Regds,
            ravi

            --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kroax2" <kroax2@y...> wrote:

            > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
            > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
            > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
            > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
            > Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
            > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
            > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
            > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
            > would you say is the best for AI programming?
            >
            > Thanx
          • Steven Shaw
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
              On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:39:41 +0100, Ivan Villanueva
              <ivan@...> wrote:

              > Hello Unknown (I think it is not polite to avoid your name in a
              > mailing list),
              >
              > > I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
              > > Approach". I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
              > > looks more or less something like Java. I'm not to certain myself.
              > > My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
              > > Visual Basic.net,
              >
              > The worst choice. Sorry.

              Wrong! Be serious! There would be plenty of languages more worse for
              plenty of different reasons. COBOL, PL/1...

              > > I still want to learn those other languages, but
              > > for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
              > > AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
              > > should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
              > > would you say is the best for AI programming?
              >
              > Probably you can program what you want in VB, but I would recommend to
              > learn anything else: python. You can learn everything you need reading
              > a few pages. Check out:
              > http://www.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide

              Everything I ever need? Just afew pages - what are the rest for?

              I like Python but please don't overstate things. I've a friend who
              programs in VB.NET. He tell me that there's only afew things you can
              do in C# that you can't do in VB.NET (he still prefers C#). C# is so
              close to Java that if you can make a reasonable implementation in Java
              then I assume you can make one in VB.NET.

              If deliverly on the .NET platform is the main constraint (otherwise
              you could simply use Java or Lisp), you could consider IronPython - a
              recent Python implementation for .NET. From what I've read it sounds
              pretty wonderful (apparently can be faster than CPython)!

              As most DotNetists seem to use C#, you should probably consider using
              that rather than VB if there is no constraint - purely from a
              marketable skills point of view.

              If you'd like to learn a language that you won't probably use in your
              professional career, perhaps the best is Common Lisp. It will provide
              the most insights. I read bits of On Lisp, Lisp in Small Pieces, PAIP
              and such when I can get a chance. Another option is Ruby. I like Ruby
              alot - it is the most fun :-).

              --
              Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw
            • mohammad zali
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2005
                Hello

                You are really a student?

                Bye

                kroax2 <kroax2@...> wrote:

                I'm taking a course in AI, we are using the textbook "A Modern
                Approach".  I saw in the textbook that the code they work around
                looks more or less something like Java.  I'm not to certain myself.
                My question is: I have only learnt one language so far and that is
                Visual Basic.net, I still want to learn those other languages, but
                for this course in AI we have to do a practical in AI, to develop an
                AI Agent, will VB.net be sufficient for a small practical agent, or
                should I consider looking at another language, if so which language
                would you say is the best for AI programming?

                Thanx

                ���� ���ی

              • Osamah alsaidi