planar map

  • kroax2
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
      In chapter 3 of the text book, exercise 3.7 a, at the back of the
      chapter. They ask: to give all these functions such as cost
      functions etc. of a planar map, but my problem is I don't know what a
      planar map is. If any of you can help explain or show what a planar
      map is I would appreciat it because a search on google and yahoo
      hasn't provided me much except mathematical things, which is useless
      to me.
      If anyone can please help me email me please at KroaX2@...

      ThanX
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2005
        From the #1 result for the query [planar map] on Google:

        "The data type planar_map represents a planar drawing of a planar
        graph. A graph is called planar if it can be drawn without edge
        crossings."

        In other words, take a map, draw a point for the capital of each
        region, connect adjacent capitals with lines, and then throw away the
        original borders. You now have a graph. If this graph can be drawn
        on a flat plane with no lines crossing, it is a planar map.

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kroax2" <kroax2@y...> wrote:

        > In chapter 3 of the text book, exercise 3.7 a, at the back of the
        > chapter. They ask: to give all these functions such as cost
        > functions etc. of a planar map, but my problem is I don't know what a
        > planar map is. If any of you can help explain or show what a planar
        > map is I would appreciat it because a search on google and yahoo
        > hasn't provided me much except mathematical things, which is useless
        > to me.
        > If anyone can please help me email me please at KroaX2@y...
        >
        > ThanX
      • kroax2