Re: Difference between Actuators and Sensors

  • AT Murray
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Gaurav" <gaurav_gup1@y...> wrote:
      > [...]

      Sensors are input to an artificial intelligence;
      actuators are output from an artificial intelligence.

      Sensors are like the human eyes and ears.
      Actuators are like the muscles of the human body.

      http://mind.sourceforge.net/sesorium.html#sensors is a list
      of sensors available for robots to use.

      http://mind.sourceforge.net/motorium.html is a webpage on
      the use of actuators for the motor output of AI agents.
      An agent is a being who acts with actuators.

      I hope this helps (and spreads the news that AI has been solved).

      Arthur
    • gaurav gupta
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
        thanks man,
        what i can figure out from your example is that
        sensors are basically used for input to any AI agent
        while actuators are mainly involved with the output of
        the AI agents.

        is this correct?

        please can you help me in finding out what exactly is
        "Web Crawler". I think its some tool to help in
        demystifying the abbreviations used in the webpages.
        But i coudln't find out much about it in detail. Can
        you also help me in finding out some of its task
        environments such as the sensors and actuators used
        in.

        I also need to know the sensors and actuators of the
        following. I found out some but am not sure whether
        they are correct? Please help me in this:

        Robot Soccer:
        Sensors:
        Vision and Image processing
        Omnidirectional Vision
        Adversarial Planning
        Speech Synthesis

        Actuators:
        Sensor-Motor Control

        Computer Chess Player:
        Sensors:
        Inputs moves made by the opponent.

        Actuators:
        ?????

        --- Dharmesh Jani <janidharmesh@...> wrote:

        > hey
        > sensors are devices that are used to convert the
        > signal from one physical form to another...they are
        > also called transducers.....eg. pressure transducers
        > like strain gauge convert the pressure into voltage
        > that can be fed to controllers.. temperature
        > transducers convert temperature into voltage or
        > current.....
        > actuators are devices that are used as a converter
        > between the controller and the control
        > devices...generally all of the control devices have
        > actuators........for example we can have actuators
        > for control valves which are the final control
        > elements in control systems.....
        >
        > take the example of controlling the temperature in a
        > tank of water......
        > first comes the sensor which senses the temperature
        > and gives the input to a microcomputer....the
        > microcomputer runs some algorithm to see as what
        > needs to be done according to the input
        > temperature...it gives appropriate output to the
        > actuator which drives a valve controlling the flow
        > of water in the tank....in this way the loop is
        > closed....
        >
        > tell me if u r able to understand this example.....
        > take care
        >

        > Gaurav <gaurav_gup1@...> wrote:
        >

        > Hi all, I have taken this for the first time. I was
        > going through the
        > book but I am not able to make out the exact
        > differences between
        > Actuators and Sensors. Please someone help me by
        > giving me what each
        > term means. If possible please also give some
        > example which is
        > different from one given in the book.
        >
        > Please reply quickly. Thanks.

        > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
        >

        > DHARMESH JANI
        > janidharmesh@...
        > janidharmesh@...
        > Let us think about the thinking things...

        =====
        Bye
        Gaurav Gupta

        " You will never be able to escape from your heart, so it is better to listen to what it has to say."

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com