Re: [aima-talk] Beginner

  • BRANDON C CORFMAN
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
      I know straightforward search algorithms can be implemented in C++. But
      most chapters of the AIMA book deal with first order logic. Are there
      frameworks to implement first-order logic in C++? I think C++ would
      require a lot of base functionality before it would become as practical
      as Prolog for first-order logic.

      Thanks,
      Brandon

      Peter Norvig wrote:

      >Traditionally (1970s to early 1990s), Lisp and Prolog have been popular
      >languages for AI, and C has not. The main reason is that Lisp and Prolog are
      >more flexible -- they allow you to delay making certain implementation
      >decisions until run time -- and they are better for exploratory program
      >development -- they are interactive, and make it easier to learn what you
      >really want to program by interactive experimentation. C is less flexible,
      >and is designed for cases when you have a specification of your eventual
      >program before you start.
      >
      >Today, C++ offers many of the advantages of Lisp and Prolog through the
      >Standard Template Library. It is still less flexible, but it is easier to
      >interface with other code, and it gives finer control of memory and other
      >machine resources in the few cases where that really matters. So today a
      >fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
      >Python are also used.
      >
      >-Peter

    • Serguei A Mokhov
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
        Quoting Peter Norvig <peter@...>:

        <snip>
        > fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
        > Python are also used.

        I would also add CLIPS. The adder exercise in the book
        I would do in CLIPS rather than in any other language.

        --
        Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
          Prolog does provide a straightforward way to do logical inference -- if
          you're satisfied with the depth-first search approach, and with the
          incomplete treatment of negation. For some applications this works fine,
          but for most applications what really helps is not the built-in approach,
          but Prolog's support for building the interpreter/compiler you really want
          for your problem. Lisp also offers similar support, so that is why Lisp is
          often just as good, even though Lisp has no built-in support for inference.

          Another thing that Lisp and Prolog provide is an easily-customizable reader
          for parsing your logical expressions. With C++ you have to use YACC or some
          other parser-generator, or build your own parser.

          -Peter