Unable to Run the Code from the text book - Need help

  • ponguru
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2005
      I am trying to compile the JAVA code from
      http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/java-overview.html I downloaded the
      aima.zip and unzipped the files into a folder aima-code as the following

      C:\javamyprograms\aima-code

      I have C:\javamyprograms\ in my class path. I am trying to run one
      file in the following location (AStarSearch.java),

      C:\javamyprograms\aima-code\src\aima\search\informed

      also the folders which is mentioned as package exisit properly in the
      right location.
      But I am getting the error :

      AStarSearch.java:9: package aima.search.framework does not exist
      import aima.search.framework.Metrics;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:10: package aima.search.framework does not exist
      import aima.search.framework.Node;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:11: package aima.search.framework does not exist
      import aima.search.framework.PrioritySearch;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:12: package aima.search.framework does not exist
      import aima.search.framework.Problem;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:13: package aima.search.framework does not exist
      import aima.search.framework.QueueSearch;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:19: cannot find symbol
      symbol: class PrioritySearch
      public class AStarSearch extends PrioritySearch {
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:21: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class QueueSearch
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch
      public AStarSearch(QueueSearch search) {
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:55: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Metrics
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch
      public Metrics getMetrics() {
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:59: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Problem
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch
      protected Comparator getComparator(Problem p) {
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:26: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Problem
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      private Problem problem;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:28: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Problem
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      NodeComparator(Problem problem) {
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:22: cannot find symbol
      symbol : variable search
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch
      this.search = search;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:33: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Node
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      Node one = (Node) aNode;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:33: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Node
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      Node one = (Node) aNode;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:34: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Node
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      Node two = (Node) anotherNode;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:34: cannot find symbol
      symbol : class Node
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch.NodeComparator
      Node two = (Node) anotherNode;
      ^
      AStarSearch.java:56: cannot find symbol
      symbol : variable search
      location: class aima.search.informed.AStarSearch
      return search.getMetrics();
      ^

      So I am not sure where is the mistake that I am doing. I would be
      really glad if you could help me with this respect.

      Thanks in advance.

      PK
    • Ivan Villanueva
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005
        > I am trying to compile the JAVA code from
        > http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu/java-overview.html I downloaded the
        > aima.zip and unzipped the files into a folder aima-code as the following
        >
        > C:\javamyprograms\aima-code
        >
        > I have C:\javamyprograms\ in my class path. I am trying to run one
        > file in the following location (AStarSearch.java),
        >
        > C:\javamyprograms\aima-code\src\aima\search\informed
        >
        > also the folders which is mentioned as package exisit properly in the
        > right location.
        > But I am getting the error :
        >
        > AStarSearch.java:9: package aima.search.framework does not exist
        > import aima.search.framework.Metrics;
        > [...]

        Try the following:
        - open a console and change the directory (cd) to
        C:\javamyprograms\aima-code\src

        - execute e.g.: java -cp . aima\search\informed\AStarSearch (or whatever)
        (I don't use Windows, maybe you should replace '\' with '.')

        <advertisement>
        I'm implementing the code in the book in java, but trying to provide
        more documentation, a better design, and more general algorithms.
        I'm finished with chapter 6 now. If you like I can send you my
        source code.
        </advertisement>

        Iván.
      • Ravi Mohan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5 7:34 PM
          Ponguru,
          Sorry for the delay in reply .
          I was away from my pc for a week .
          Your classpath needs to include the "build" directoryinside tha aima
          dierctory .
          feel free to contact me if you have any problems.
          Regds,
          Ravi