Re: [aima-talk] Beginner

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
      Traditionally (1970s to early 1990s), Lisp and Prolog have been popular
      languages for AI, and C has not. The main reason is that Lisp and Prolog are
      more flexible -- they allow you to delay making certain implementation
      decisions until run time -- and they are better for exploratory program
      development -- they are interactive, and make it easier to learn what you
      really want to program by interactive experimentation. C is less flexible,
      and is designed for cases when you have a specification of your eventual
      program before you start.

      Today, C++ offers many of the advantages of Lisp and Prolog through the
      Standard Template Library. It is still less flexible, but it is easier to
      interface with other code, and it gives finer control of memory and other
      machine resources in the few cases where that really matters. So today a
      fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
      Python are also used.

      -Peter

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
        I know straightforward search algorithms can be implemented in C++. But
        most chapters of the AIMA book deal with first order logic. Are there
        frameworks to implement first-order logic in C++? I think C++ would
        require a lot of base functionality before it would become as practical
        as Prolog for first-order logic.

        Thanks,
        Brandon

        Peter Norvig wrote:

        >Traditionally (1970s to early 1990s), Lisp and Prolog have been popular
        >languages for AI, and C has not. The main reason is that Lisp and Prolog are
        >more flexible -- they allow you to delay making certain implementation
        >decisions until run time -- and they are better for exploratory program
        >development -- they are interactive, and make it easier to learn what you
        >really want to program by interactive experimentation. C is less flexible,
        >and is designed for cases when you have a specification of your eventual
        >program before you start.
        >
        >Today, C++ offers many of the advantages of Lisp and Prolog through the
        >Standard Template Library. It is still less flexible, but it is easier to
        >interface with other code, and it gives finer control of memory and other
        >machine resources in the few cases where that really matters. So today a
        >fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
        >Python are also used.
        >
        >-Peter

      • Serguei A Mokhov
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
          Quoting Peter Norvig <peter@...>:

          <snip>
          > fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
          > Python are also used.

          I would also add CLIPS. The adder exercise in the book
          I would do in CLIPS rather than in any other language.

          --
          Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
            Prolog does provide a straightforward way to do logical inference -- if
            you're satisfied with the depth-first search approach, and with the
            incomplete treatment of negation. For some applications this works fine,
            but for most applications what really helps is not the built-in approach,
            but Prolog's support for building the interpreter/compiler you really want
            for your problem. Lisp also offers similar support, so that is why Lisp is
            often just as good, even though Lisp has no built-in support for inference.

            Another thing that Lisp and Prolog provide is an easily-customizable reader
            for parsing your logical expressions. With C++ you have to use YACC or some
            other parser-generator, or build your own parser.

            -Peter