Beginner

  • ivofilho
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
      Hello... I am starting my course on eletrical engeneering.. I have
      some knowledge about computer programming and eletronics. So, now I
      am starting building my knowlegde on artificial intellingence.

      I have a question now: why c language isn`t good enough for ai? why
      prolog is better?
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 6, 2002
        Traditionally (1970s to early 1990s), Lisp and Prolog have been popular
        languages for AI, and C has not. The main reason is that Lisp and Prolog are
        more flexible -- they allow you to delay making certain implementation
        decisions until run time -- and they are better for exploratory program
        development -- they are interactive, and make it easier to learn what you
        really want to program by interactive experimentation. C is less flexible,
        and is designed for cases when you have a specification of your eventual
        program before you start.

        Today, C++ offers many of the advantages of Lisp and Prolog through the
        Standard Template Library. It is still less flexible, but it is easier to
        interface with other code, and it gives finer control of memory and other
        machine resources in the few cases where that really matters. So today a
        fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
        Python are also used.

        -Peter

        > Hello... I am starting my course on eletrical engeneering.. I have
        > some knowledge about computer programming and eletronics. So, now I
        > am starting building my knowlegde on artificial intellingence.
        >
        > I have a question now: why c language isn`t good enough for ai? why
        > prolog is better?

      • BRANDON C CORFMAN
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
          I know straightforward search algorithms can be implemented in C++. But
          most chapters of the AIMA book deal with first order logic. Are there
          frameworks to implement first-order logic in C++? I think C++ would
          require a lot of base functionality before it would become as practical
          as Prolog for first-order logic.

          Thanks,
          Brandon

          Peter Norvig wrote:

          >Traditionally (1970s to early 1990s), Lisp and Prolog have been popular
          >languages for AI, and C has not. The main reason is that Lisp and Prolog are
          >more flexible -- they allow you to delay making certain implementation
          >decisions until run time -- and they are better for exploratory program
          >development -- they are interactive, and make it easier to learn what you
          >really want to program by interactive experimentation. C is less flexible,
          >and is designed for cases when you have a specification of your eventual
          >program before you start.
          >
          >Today, C++ offers many of the advantages of Lisp and Prolog through the
          >Standard Template Library. It is still less flexible, but it is easier to
          >interface with other code, and it gives finer control of memory and other
          >machine resources in the few cases where that really matters. So today a
          >fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
          >Python are also used.
          >
          >-Peter

        • Serguei A Mokhov
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
            Quoting Peter Norvig <peter@...>:

            <snip>
            > fair amount of AI is done in C++. Other languages like Java, Perl, and
            > Python are also used.

            I would also add CLIPS. The adder exercise in the book
            I would do in CLIPS rather than in any other language.

            --
            Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 7, 2002
              Prolog does provide a straightforward way to do logical inference -- if
              you're satisfied with the depth-first search approach, and with the
              incomplete treatment of negation. For some applications this works fine,
              but for most applications what really helps is not the built-in approach,
              but Prolog's support for building the interpreter/compiler you really want
              for your problem. Lisp also offers similar support, so that is why Lisp is
              often just as good, even though Lisp has no built-in support for inference.

              Another thing that Lisp and Prolog provide is an easily-customizable reader
              for parsing your logical expressions. With C++ you have to use YACC or some
              other parser-generator, or build your own parser.

              -Peter