Re: [aima-talk] problems at end of each chapter

  • Serguei A Mokhov
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
      Hello,

      This is always a trade off between instructors being afraid
      that the studens will write off the solutions manual their
      assignments and students' motivation to do the exercises (other than assigments)
      for practicing when they know that they won't get a right answer
      right away to cofirm the correctnes of their solution.

      There are several ways to overcome this:

      o When I was taking an AI course, I came up with
      an idea to create a sort of mini-comunity to solve
      AIMA problems, and publish poeple's solutions and
      their revisions, so Vlad you can join it some time
      after, but this won't help you much now before
      your exam.

      o Use group discussions. Get together with classmates
      and discuss the problems. This really helps (tested :))

      o Some other ways I haven't come up with :)

      What actually would be nice to have, is not all the porblems
      solved in the book, but one per topic. This approach is used
      by some authors.

      -s

      --
      Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
        I certainly agree that there is a tradeoff, and worked examples are a great
        help. I don't want to give away answers to existing problems, but I do
        think that adding new problems, on the web site, with worked answers is a
        good idea. Stuart and I are working hard on finishing the second edition;
        as soon as that is complete, we'll add some additional problems with
        answers. Until then, you're welcome to start a discussion, post answers,
        and I'll make comments on them if necessary.

        -Peter