Re: [aima-talk] problems at end of each chapter

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3 5:29 PM
      We can't give out the answers to exercises, because some instructors want to
      assign them for homework.

      -Peter

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3 7:20 PM
        Hello,

        This is always a trade off between instructors being afraid
        that the studens will write off the solutions manual their
        assignments and students' motivation to do the exercises (other than assigments)
        for practicing when they know that they won't get a right answer
        right away to cofirm the correctnes of their solution.

        There are several ways to overcome this:

        o When I was taking an AI course, I came up with
        an idea to create a sort of mini-comunity to solve
        AIMA problems, and publish poeple's solutions and
        their revisions, so Vlad you can join it some time
        after, but this won't help you much now before
        your exam.

        o Use group discussions. Get together with classmates
        and discuss the problems. This really helps (tested :))

        o Some other ways I haven't come up with :)

        What actually would be nice to have, is not all the porblems
        solved in the book, but one per topic. This approach is used
        by some authors.

        -s

        --
        Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3 8:28 PM
          I certainly agree that there is a tradeoff, and worked examples are a great
          help. I don't want to give away answers to existing problems, but I do
          think that adding new problems, on the web site, with worked answers is a
          good idea. Stuart and I are working hard on finishing the second edition;
          as soon as that is complete, we'll add some additional problems with
          answers. Until then, you're welcome to start a discussion, post answers,
          and I'll make comments on them if necessary.

          -Peter