question 13.9

  • brandon_pitt_47
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hope someone can help me with this one. completely stuck. any solutions out there? it's
      on page 490 about proving the conditionalized version of the general product rule.

      P(X,Y|e) = P(X|Y,e) P(Y|e)

      part b: prove the conditionalized version of Bayes' Rule in Equation (13.10)

      P(Y|X,e) = P(X|Y,e) P(Y|e)
      ------------
      P(X)

      ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

      thanks,
      brandon
    • j1mmy_n3u7120n
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 13, 2004
        Both follow the normal proof methods ....

        Note that P(X,Y|e) = P(X,Y,e)/P(e)
        and P(X|Y,e) = P(X,Y,e)/P(Y,e)
        and P(Y|e) = P(Y,e)/P(e)

        The first part is immediate from this.

        The second part is almost trivial after this ...
        Note that,
        P(X,Y|e) = P(X|Y,e) P(Y|e)
        also,
        P(X,Y|e) = P(Y|X,e) P(X|e)