problems at end of each chapter

  • bishop_vlad
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
      Hi, I am getting for an exam in my AI course. We are using Mr.
      Russell's and Mr. Norvig's "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern
      Approach." To prepare for the exam, I was trying to tackle some of
      the exercises at the end of each chapter. However, I cannot be sure
      if my answers are correct. Is there a website anywhere, or something
      that I can download, that may act as an anwer guide to the book's end-
      of-chapter exercises?
      Thank you.

      -- Vlad
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
        We can't give out the answers to exercises, because some instructors want to
        assign them for homework.

        -Peter

        > Hi, I am getting for an exam in my AI course. We are using Mr.
        > Russell's and Mr. Norvig's "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern
        > Approach." To prepare for the exam, I was trying to tackle some of
        > the exercises at the end of each chapter. However, I cannot be sure
        > if my answers are correct. Is there a website anywhere, or something
        > that I can download, that may act as an anwer guide to the book's end-
        > of-chapter exercises?
        > Thank you.
        >
        > -- Vlad

      • Serguei A Mokhov
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
          Hello,

          This is always a trade off between instructors being afraid
          that the studens will write off the solutions manual their
          assignments and students' motivation to do the exercises (other than assigments)
          for practicing when they know that they won't get a right answer
          right away to cofirm the correctnes of their solution.

          There are several ways to overcome this:

          o When I was taking an AI course, I came up with
          an idea to create a sort of mini-comunity to solve
          AIMA problems, and publish poeple's solutions and
          their revisions, so Vlad you can join it some time
          after, but this won't help you much now before
          your exam.

          o Use group discussions. Get together with classmates
          and discuss the problems. This really helps (tested :))

          o Some other ways I haven't come up with :)

          What actually would be nice to have, is not all the porblems
          solved in the book, but one per topic. This approach is used
          by some authors.

          -s

          --
          Serguei A. Mokhov <mailto:mokhov@...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2002
            I certainly agree that there is a tradeoff, and worked examples are a great
            help. I don't want to give away answers to existing problems, but I do
            think that adding new problems, on the web site, with worked answers is a
            good idea. Stuart and I are working hard on finishing the second edition;
            as soon as that is complete, we'll add some additional problems with
            answers. Until then, you're welcome to start a discussion, post answers,
            and I'll make comments on them if necessary.

            -Peter