Re: [aima-talk] Quasilogical Form & "type"

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2002
      Thanks for your questions. The quasi-logical form is all about semantics
      in logical form, so "sentence" means a sentence in logic (and is unrelated
      to the grammatical notion of sentence in language), like
      Smelly(cheese). An object is a logical object, like cheese. (It is
      unrelated to the idea of object-vs-subject of a verb.) Smelly is a logical
      predicate. The logical form for the adjective "smelly" is lambda x
      Smelly(x), and the type is object -> sentence, which means if you apply it
      to an object, such as cheese, you get back a logical sentence: (lambda x
      Smelly(x))(cheese) is Smelly(cheese).

      You ask about "I sleep". The trick is that the semantic form for each
      sense of each verb has the right number of missing arguments. For "sleep",
      there would be only one missing argument: lambda x Sleep(x). Then the rule
      S(rel(obj)) -> NP(obj) VP(rel)
      for the sentence "I sleep" gets parsed as
      S(Sleep(Speaker)) -> NP(Speaker) VP(lambda x Sleep(x))
      so Sleep is not an object, it is a predicate. Speaker is an object, and
      Sleep(Speaker) is a sentence.

      Does that help?