Simple question regarding task environment

  • Bob Riley
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2004
      I am starting on some of the computing exercises in chapter 2 and
      have a question regarding task environment. According to the book,
      task environment is specified by performance measure, environment,
      actuators, and sensors. The 1st two of these I can understand - but
      why are acuators and sensors included in the task environment?
      Shouldn't the task environment be the elements of interest outisde
      of the agent? Aren't sensors and actuators part of the agent
      itself? Upon first seeing this, I thought that my interpretation of
      agent may be wrong - maybe the agent is simply the program/function
      and the actuators and sensors are external entities that the agent
      interacts with. But there are several examples in this chapter
      where the actuators and sensors are considered to be part of the
      agent. Can someone clear this up? Is it just me or does the book
      seem to be altering the definition of agent in different parts of
      the chapter?

      Thanks,

      Bob
    • E etech058
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2004
        Hello bob,
        Do you mean the 3 concept's relationship?
        1. environment
        2. agent head
        3. agent body

        My idea are as follows:
        1. Every agent contains 2 parts, 1 is "agent head", the other is "agent body".
        2. The agent through its body's sensors to get percept from environment. The percept has been sent to "agent head" for process, and "head" produce out the "action". The "action" has been sent to "agent body" for execution. "execuation" will change some aspect of environment.

        3. In the sourcecode of "aima-lisp-code\agents\agents\agents.lisp" file, it contains Mr. Author's design Decision mark.
        ====quotation start==============
        ;; We have decided that the agent and its body are two separate objects.
        ;; We could have combined the agent and its body into one object. But then
        ;; each new type of agent would need to inherit from both AGENT and some
        ;; body type, such as OBJECT. This would require multiple inheritance,
        ;; which is part of CLOS, but is not in our simple implementation for those
        ;; who don't have CLOS. In any case, it would get messy. We think that
        ;; separating agents from agent-bodies is a good thing for this
        ;; implementation. (Just don't take it too far and assume that this says
        ;; anything about the mind-body problem.)
        ====quotation end================

        I hope the above information is useful to you.
        Kind regards
        chenyu
      • Mauricio Amaral de Almeida
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2004
          Someon please correct me if I wrong, but in my interpretation the actuators as
          in conceptualy part of the agent.
          But when you make a software implementation on the pair agent-environment you
          have to implement the actuatror, and the sensor for that matter, as methods
          of the class environment.
          That is so for you to be able to decouple the agent and the environment. In
          that way when an agent want to act over an environment it should call the
          proper method in the class environment.
          This is in fact the best way to do this because doing things this way the
          agent doesn't need to know the environment internal structure.

          Mauricio

          --
          Prof. Dr. Maurício Amaral de Almeida
          malmeida@...
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2004
            I think you are right. Because the environment also our program,
            rather than a real-world's thing.

            kind regards
            chenyu

            --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Mauricio Amaral de Almeida