RE: [aima-talk] Project ideas!

  • E etech058
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004

      Yes, Vehicle route problem is a search problem. It is a central problem in distribution management. The classical problems description is:

      Fact:

      1.    brief:

      a)      One company has many customers for distribution products. The company has many vehicles fore doing the work. Every customers order is small. Company wants to design a plan for all vehicles to lower the distribution cost.

      2.    details:

      a)      G = (V,E) be an undirected graph where V = {v0,v1,vn} is a set of vertices representing customers. E ={(vi,vj)|vi,vj belong to V, i<j} is the edge set.

      b)      Vertex v0 denotes a depot at which are based m identical vehicles of capacity Q, where m is a decision variable or a constant.

      c)      Each customer of V\{v} has a non-negative demand qi, a non-negative service time si. (waiting, unloading time)

      d)      A distance matrix (cij) is defined on E. We use the terms distance and travel time interchangeably.

      Problem(VRP---for vehicle route problem

      1.    designing a set of m vehicles routes having a minimum total length and such that

      a)      each route start and ends at the depot

      b)      each remaining city is visited exactly once by one vehicle

      c)      the total demand of a route does not exceed

      d)      The total duration of a route does not exceed a preset limit L.

      Many people think that the core of VRP is TSP (traveling salesman problem). But it is more difficult than TSP. TSP has only one salesman.

      Many variants of VRP exists,

      1.    To delete the above fact b. Some customers order is very big so that the order is more than the vehicles capacity.

      2.    Another special vertex appears. It is not customer. It is highway fee collection point. Therefore the Problem-1 requirement should be modified.

      3.    Many different kind of vehicle exists, For example, one kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles are for common products.

      4.    Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.

      5.    etc.

      There are many different approachs to solve the problem:

      1.    hill climbing

      2.    simulated annealing

      3.    neural network

      4.    GA

      5.    ant system

      6.    etc

      I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and this problems requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement can be added for more difficulty.

      Thank you for your attention.

      Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
        On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, al kin wrote:

        > i'm looking for a thesis topic in parallel computing. i'm wondering if i
        > can find a parallel algorithm for VRP.

        Why don't you attempt to parallelize existing ones?

        --
        Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
        Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 25, 2004

          Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.

          Any ideas, suggestions?

          JESUS IS LORD AND HE REIGNETH FOREVER

        • Arthur T. Murray
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 20 10:20 PM
            On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Famofo Julius Seun wrote:

            > Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.
            >
            > Any ideas, suggestions?

            Yes. You could work on implementing an artificial intelligence
            based on the following theory-based Cognitive Architecture for AI:

            http://freshmeat.net/projects/ai/#comment-30449 == AI has been solved.

            Alife Main Artificial Intelligence Program Loop (or Ringlet of Modules)
            --- enBoot (English Bootstrap)
            --- Security
            --- --- HCI (Human-Computer Interaction)
            --- --- Rejuvenate (for cyborg immortality)
            --- --- psiDecay
            --- --- Ego
            --- Sensorium
            --- --- Audition
            --- --- --- Listen
            --- --- --- --- audSTM (auditory Short Term Memory)
            --- --- --- --- --- audRecog (auditory Recognition)
            --- --- --- oldConcept
            --- --- --- --- Parser
            --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
            --- --- --- --- Activate
            --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
            --- --- --- newConcept (machine learning)
            --- --- --- --- enVocab (English Vocabulary)
            --- --- --- --- Parser
            --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
            --- Emotion
            --- Think
            --- --- Activate
            --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
            --- --- English
            --- --- --- Ask
            --- --- --- --- wtAuxSDo (what+Auxiliary+Subject+Do)
            --- --- --- --- --- Speech
            --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
            --- --- --- negSVO
            --- --- --- --- auxVerb
            --- --- --- --- --- Speech
            --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
            --- --- --- SVO (Subject+Verb+Object)
            --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
            --- --- --- --- --- Reify
            --- --- --- --- --- Speech
            --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
            --- --- --- --- --- Activate
            --- --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct
            --- --- --- --- verbPhrase
            --- --- --- --- --- Reify
            --- --- --- --- --- Speech
            --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
            --- --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
            --- --- --- --- Conjoin
            --- --- --- --- --- Speech
            --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
            --- Volition
            --- Motorium

            A.T. Murray
            --
            http://mind.sourceforge.net/aisteps.html#aitree -- AI Algorithm Steps
            http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/307824.307853 -- ACM Sigplan on Mind.Forth
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 22 7:07 PM
              Hello,
              I have asked others to help me to translate it from Japanese
              language. But it make me dispointed because it doesn't contain any
              information about how to learning. This documents mainly discuss the
              software "Mr.Log"'s brief information. This software use "TS (tubu
              search)" and "SA(simulated annealing)" to solve the problem.

              But after comparing many algorithm (methodology), I have decided to
              use multi-agents (trading algorithm) to do my VRP project.
              For GUI and data management, to use mapinfo.

              If you are interested in VRP and want to make project on it. The
              following paper may be useful to you.

              1. about mapinfo and VRP
              It contains some "machine learning" algorithm, but it doesn't say
              details.
              ==========================
              magazine: journal of operational research society
              August 2002, Volume 53, Number 8, Pages 842-854
              Map-Route: a GIS-based decision support system for intra-city vehicle
              routing with time windows
              G Ioannou, M N Kritikos and G P Prastacos
              Athens University of Economics and Business, Athens, Greece

              Correspondence to: G Ioannou, Management Sciences Laboratory,
              Graduate Program in Decision Sciences, Department of Management
              Science and Technology, Athens University of Economics and Business,
              8th Floor, 47A Evelpidon Street and 33 Lefkados Street, Athens 113-
              62, Greece. E-mail: ioannou@...

              2. multi-agent truck==========================
              http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/455751.html
              It shows why multi-agent method is better. It makes the system more
              flexible and easy for adding more constraint.

              Thank you for your attention.
              kind regarsd
              chenyu