Re: Project ideas!

  • ³ÂÓí
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
      Yes, ¡®Vehicle route problem¡¯ is a search problem. It is a central
      problem in distribution management. The classical problem¡¯s
      description is:
      Fact:
      1. brief:
      a) One company has many customers for distribution products.
      The company has many vehicles fore doing the work. Every customer¡¯s
      order is small. Company wants to design a plan for all vehicles to
      lower the distribution cost.
      2. details:
      a) G = (V,E) be an undirected graph where V = {v0,v1,¡­vn} is
      a set of vertices representing customers. E ={(vi,vj)|vi,vj belong to
      V, i<j} is the edge set.
      b) Vertex v0 denotes a depot at which are based m identical
      vehicles of capacity Q, where m is a decision variable or a constant.
      c) Each customer of V\{v} has a non-negative demand qi, a non-
      negative service time si. (waiting, unloading time)
      d) A distance matrix (cij) is defined on E. We use the terms
      distance and travel time interchangeably.
      Problem(VRP---for vehicle route problem
      1. designing a set of m vehicles routes having a minimum total
      length and such that
      a) each route start and ends at the depot
      b) each remaining city is visited exactly once by one vehicle
      c) the total demand of a route does not exceed
      d) The total duration of a route does not exceed a preset
      limit L.

      Many people think that the core of VRP is TSP (traveling salesman
      problem). But it is more difficult than TSP. TSP has only one
      salesman.

      Many variants of VRP exists,
      1. To delete the above fact b. Some customer¡¯s order is very
      big so that the order is more than the vehicle¡¯s capacity.
      2. Another special vertex appears. It is not customer. It is
      highway fee collection point. Therefore the Problem-1 requirement
      should be modified.
      3. Many different kind of vehicle exists, For example, one
      kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles are
      for common products.
      4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
      5. etc.

      There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
      1. hill climbing
      2. simulated annealing
      3. neural network
      4. GA
      5. ant system
      6. etc

      I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
      this problem¡¯s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
      can be added for more difficulty.

      Thank you for your attention.
      Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)

      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, setiawan adhiputro <sea12_02@y...>
      wrote:
      > this "Vehicle route problem", is that about searching problem?
      >
      > E etech058 <etech058@o...> wrote:Hi,
      > My proposal is "Vehicle route problem". The problem can be easy or
      complex depending on the requirement.

      > Best regards/chenyu

      __
      > Yahoo! India Insurance Special: Be informed on the best policies,
      services, tools and more.
      > Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Service.

      > Do you Yahoo!?
    • E etech058

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
            I have found a introduction which is about VRP as a learning problem.
            But it is written in Japanease, I can't understand it now. After
            asking helping others for translation, I could reply you later.

            The website: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/
            contains many paper about VRP. Maybe keyword of "learning VRP" will
            help you found many similars.

            In addition, I found some useful maganizes about this problem. I have
            found them in my local library (shanghai library). Maybe you could
            find them in your locals too.
            1. JORS (Journal of the Operation Research)
            ISSN: 0160-5682

            2. Annals of Operational Research
            ISSN: 0254-5330

            3. Management Science
            ISSN: 0025-1909

            If anyone have any useful reference about it, please let me know.

            --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, seA <sea12_02@y...> wrote:
            > can i represent this VRP as a Reinforcement Learning problem?
            becaus im thinking about using RL for my mini project,any idea?

            > regards,
            > seA/indonesia
            >
            > ³ÂÓí <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            > Yes, ¡®Vehicle route problem¡¯ is a search problem. It is a central
            > problem in distribution management. The classical problem¡¯s
            > description is:
            > Fact:
            > 1. brief:
            > a) One company has many customers for distribution products.
            > The company has many vehicles fore doing the work. Every customer¡¯
            > order is small. Company wants to design a plan for all vehicles to
            > lower the distribution cost.
            > 2. details:
            > a) G = (V,E) be an undirected graph where V = {v0,v1,?
            amp;shy;vn} is
            > a set of vertices representing customers. E ={(vi,vj)|vi,vj belong
            > V, i<j} is the edge set.
            > b) Vertex v0 denotes a depot at which are based m identical
            > vehicles of capacity Q, where m is a decision variable or a
            constant.
            > c) Each customer of V\{v} has a non-negative demand qi, a non-
            > negative service time si. (waiting, unloading time)
            > d) A distance matrix (cij) is defined on E. We use the terms
            > distance and travel time interchangeably.
            > Problem(VRP---for vehicle route problem
            > 1. designing a set of m vehicles routes having a minimum total
            > length and such that
            > a) each route start and ends at the depot
            > b) each remaining city is visited exactly once by one vehicle
            > c) the total demand of a route does not exceed
            > d) The total duration of a route does not exceed a preset
            > limit L.
            >
            > Many people think that the core of VRP is TSP (traveling salesman
            > problem). But it is more difficult than TSP. TSP has only one
            > salesman.
            >
            > Many variants of VRP exists,
            > 1. To delete the above fact b. Some customer¡¯s order is very
            > big so that the order is more than the vehicle¡¯s capacity.
            > 2. Another special vertex appears. It is not customer. It is
            > highway fee collection point. Therefore the Problem-1 requirement
            > should be modified.
            > 3. Many different kind of vehicle exists, For example, one
            > kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles
            are
            > for common products.
            > 4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
            > 5. etc.
            >

            > There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
            > 1. hill climbing
            > 2. simulated annealing
            > 3. neural network
            > 4. GA
            > 5. ant system
            > 6. etc
            >
            > I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
            > this problem¡¯s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
            > can be added for more difficulty.
            >

            > Thank you for your attention.
            > Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)
            >

            > Do you Yahoo!?
          • al kin
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
              i'm looking for a thesis topic in parallel computing. i'm wondering if i can find a parallel algorithm for VRP.

              ---
              alkin/philippines

> [...]
              >> kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles
              >are
              >> for common products.
              >> 4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
              >> 5. etc.
              >>

              >> There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
              >> 1. hill climbing
              >> 2. simulated annealing
              >> 3. neural network
              >> 4. GA
              >> 5. ant system
              >> 6. etc
              >>
              >> I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
              >> this problem��s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
              >> can be added for more difficulty.
              >>

              >> Thank you for your attention.
              >> Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)
              >>

              >> Do you Yahoo!?
              >> Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam

              Check out the new EudoraMail at
              http://www.eudoramail.com
            • Serguei A. Mokhov
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
                On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, al kin wrote:

                > i'm looking for a thesis topic in parallel computing. i'm wondering if i
                > can find a parallel algorithm for VRP.

                Why don't you attempt to parallelize existing ones?

                --
                Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
                Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 25, 2004

                  Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.

                  Any ideas, suggestions?

                  JESUS IS LORD AND HE REIGNETH FOREVER

                • Arthur T. Murray
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 20, 2004
                    On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Famofo Julius Seun wrote:

                    > Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.
                    >
                    > Any ideas, suggestions?

                    Yes. You could work on implementing an artificial intelligence
                    based on the following theory-based Cognitive Architecture for AI:

                    http://freshmeat.net/projects/ai/#comment-30449 == AI has been solved.

                    Alife Main Artificial Intelligence Program Loop (or Ringlet of Modules)
                    --- enBoot (English Bootstrap)
                    --- Security
                    --- --- HCI (Human-Computer Interaction)
                    --- --- Rejuvenate (for cyborg immortality)
                    --- --- psiDecay
                    --- --- Ego
                    --- Sensorium
                    --- --- Audition
                    --- --- --- Listen
                    --- --- --- --- audSTM (auditory Short Term Memory)
                    --- --- --- --- --- audRecog (auditory Recognition)
                    --- --- --- oldConcept
                    --- --- --- --- Parser
                    --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
                    --- --- --- --- Activate
                    --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
                    --- --- --- newConcept (machine learning)
                    --- --- --- --- enVocab (English Vocabulary)
                    --- --- --- --- Parser
                    --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
                    --- Emotion
                    --- Think
                    --- --- Activate
                    --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
                    --- --- English
                    --- --- --- Ask
                    --- --- --- --- wtAuxSDo (what+Auxiliary+Subject+Do)
                    --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                    --- --- --- negSVO
                    --- --- --- --- auxVerb
                    --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                    --- --- --- SVO (Subject+Verb+Object)
                    --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
                    --- --- --- --- --- Reify
                    --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                    --- --- --- --- --- Activate
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct
                    --- --- --- --- verbPhrase
                    --- --- --- --- --- Reify
                    --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                    --- --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
                    --- --- --- --- Conjoin
                    --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                    --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                    --- Volition
                    --- Motorium

                    A.T. Murray
                    --
                    http://mind.sourceforge.net/aisteps.html#aitree -- AI Algorithm Steps
                    http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/307824.307853 -- ACM Sigplan on Mind.Forth
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 22, 2004
                      Hello,
                      I have asked others to help me to translate it from Japanese
                      language. But it make me dispointed because it doesn't contain any
                      information about how to learning. This documents mainly discuss the
                      software "Mr.Log"'s brief information. This software use "TS (tubu
                      search)" and "SA(simulated annealing)" to solve the problem.

                      But after comparing many algorithm (methodology), I have decided to
                      use multi-agents (trading algorithm) to do my VRP project.
                      For GUI and data management, to use mapinfo.

                      If you are interested in VRP and want to make project on it. The
                      following paper may be useful to you.

                      1. about mapinfo and VRP
                      It contains some "machine learning" algorithm, but it doesn't say
                      details.
                      ==========================
                      magazine: journal of operational research society
                      August 2002, Volume 53, Number 8, Pages 842-854
                      Map-Route: a GIS-based decision support system for intra-city vehicle
                      routing with time windows
                      G Ioannou, M N Kritikos and G P Prastacos
                      Athens University of Economics and Business, Athens, Greece

                      Correspondence to: G Ioannou, Management Sciences Laboratory,
                      Graduate Program in Decision Sciences, Department of Management
                      Science and Technology, Athens University of Economics and Business,
                      8th Floor, 47A Evelpidon Street and 33 Lefkados Street, Athens 113-
                      62, Greece. E-mail: ioannou@...

                      2. multi-agent truck==========================
                      http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/455751.html
                      It shows why multi-agent method is better. It makes the system more
                      flexible and easy for adding more constraint.

                      Thank you for your attention.
                      kind regarsd
                      chenyu