RE: [aima-talk] Project ideas!

  • setiawan adhiputro
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
      this "Vehicle route problem", is that about searching problem?

      E etech058 <etech058@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      My proposal is "Vehicle route problem". The problem can be easy or complex depending on the requirement.

      Best regards/chenyu

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 14, 2004
        Yes, ¡®Vehicle route problem¡¯ is a search problem. It is a central
        problem in distribution management. The classical problem¡¯s
        description is:
        Fact:
        1. brief:
        a) One company has many customers for distribution products.
        The company has many vehicles fore doing the work. Every customer¡¯s
        order is small. Company wants to design a plan for all vehicles to
        lower the distribution cost.
        2. details:
        a) G = (V,E) be an undirected graph where V = {v0,v1,¡­vn} is
        a set of vertices representing customers. E ={(vi,vj)|vi,vj belong to
        V, i<j} is the edge set.
        b) Vertex v0 denotes a depot at which are based m identical
        vehicles of capacity Q, where m is a decision variable or a constant.
        c) Each customer of V\{v} has a non-negative demand qi, a non-
        negative service time si. (waiting, unloading time)
        d) A distance matrix (cij) is defined on E. We use the terms
        distance and travel time interchangeably.
        Problem(VRP---for vehicle route problem
        1. designing a set of m vehicles routes having a minimum total
        length and such that
        a) each route start and ends at the depot
        b) each remaining city is visited exactly once by one vehicle
        c) the total demand of a route does not exceed
        d) The total duration of a route does not exceed a preset
        limit L.

        Many people think that the core of VRP is TSP (traveling salesman
        problem). But it is more difficult than TSP. TSP has only one
        salesman.

        Many variants of VRP exists,
        1. To delete the above fact b. Some customer¡¯s order is very
        big so that the order is more than the vehicle¡¯s capacity.
        2. Another special vertex appears. It is not customer. It is
        highway fee collection point. Therefore the Problem-1 requirement
        should be modified.
        3. Many different kind of vehicle exists, For example, one
        kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles are
        for common products.
        4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
        5. etc.

        There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
        1. hill climbing
        2. simulated annealing
        3. neural network
        4. GA
        5. ant system
        6. etc

        I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
        this problem¡¯s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
        can be added for more difficulty.

        Thank you for your attention.
        Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, setiawan adhiputro <sea12_02@y...>
        wrote:
        > this "Vehicle route problem", is that about searching problem?
        >
        > E etech058 <etech058@o...> wrote:Hi,
        > My proposal is "Vehicle route problem". The problem can be easy or
        complex depending on the requirement.

        > Best regards/chenyu

        __
        > Yahoo! India Insurance Special: Be informed on the best policies,
        services, tools and more.
        > Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Service.

        > Do you Yahoo!?
      • E etech058

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 17, 2004
            can i represent this VRP as a Reinforcement Learning problem? becaus im thinking about using RL for my mini project,any idea?

            regards,
            seA/indonesia

            Hi,

          • ³ÂÓí
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 21, 2004
              I have found a introduction which is about VRP as a learning problem.
              But it is written in Japanease, I can't understand it now. After
              asking helping others for translation, I could reply you later.

              The website: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/
              contains many paper about VRP. Maybe keyword of "learning VRP" will
              help you found many similars.

              In addition, I found some useful maganizes about this problem. I have
              found them in my local library (shanghai library). Maybe you could
              find them in your locals too.
              1. JORS (Journal of the Operation Research)
              ISSN: 0160-5682

              2. Annals of Operational Research
              ISSN: 0254-5330

              3. Management Science
              ISSN: 0025-1909

              If anyone have any useful reference about it, please let me know.

              --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, seA <sea12_02@y...> wrote:
              > can i represent this VRP as a Reinforcement Learning problem?
              becaus im thinking about using RL for my mini project,any idea?

              > regards,
              > seA/indonesia
              >
              > ³ÂÓí <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              > Yes, ¡®Vehicle route problem¡¯ is a search problem. It is a central
              > problem in distribution management. The classical problem¡¯s
              > description is:
              > Fact:
              > 1. brief:
              > a) One company has many customers for distribution products.
              > The company has many vehicles fore doing the work. Every customer¡¯
              > order is small. Company wants to design a plan for all vehicles to
              > lower the distribution cost.
              > 2. details:
              > a) G = (V,E) be an undirected graph where V = {v0,v1,?
              amp;shy;vn} is
              > a set of vertices representing customers. E ={(vi,vj)|vi,vj belong
              > V, i<j} is the edge set.
              > b) Vertex v0 denotes a depot at which are based m identical
              > vehicles of capacity Q, where m is a decision variable or a
              constant.
              > c) Each customer of V\{v} has a non-negative demand qi, a non-
              > negative service time si. (waiting, unloading time)
              > d) A distance matrix (cij) is defined on E. We use the terms
              > distance and travel time interchangeably.
              > Problem(VRP---for vehicle route problem
              > 1. designing a set of m vehicles routes having a minimum total
              > length and such that
              > a) each route start and ends at the depot
              > b) each remaining city is visited exactly once by one vehicle
              > c) the total demand of a route does not exceed
              > d) The total duration of a route does not exceed a preset
              > limit L.
              >
              > Many people think that the core of VRP is TSP (traveling salesman
              > problem). But it is more difficult than TSP. TSP has only one
              > salesman.
              >
              > Many variants of VRP exists,
              > 1. To delete the above fact b. Some customer¡¯s order is very
              > big so that the order is more than the vehicle¡¯s capacity.
              > 2. Another special vertex appears. It is not customer. It is
              > highway fee collection point. Therefore the Problem-1 requirement
              > should be modified.
              > 3. Many different kind of vehicle exists, For example, one
              > kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles
              are
              > for common products.
              > 4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
              > 5. etc.
              >

              > There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
              > 1. hill climbing
              > 2. simulated annealing
              > 3. neural network
              > 4. GA
              > 5. ant system
              > 6. etc
              >
              > I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
              > this problem¡¯s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
              > can be added for more difficulty.
              >

              > Thank you for your attention.
              > Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)
              >

              > Do you Yahoo!?
            • al kin
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
                i'm looking for a thesis topic in parallel computing. i'm wondering if i can find a parallel algorithm for VRP.

                ---
                alkin/philippines

> [...]
                >> kind of vehicles are for freezing products, one kind of vehicles
                >are
                >> for common products.
                >> 4. Every vehicle can have more than 1 route.
                >> 5. etc.
                >>

                >> There are many different approachs to solve the problem:
                >> 1. hill climbing
                >> 2. simulated annealing
                >> 3. neural network
                >> 4. GA
                >> 5. ant system
                >> 6. etc
                >>
                >> I think many knowledge of AIMA can be applied to this problem, and
                >> this problem��s requirement is easy to imagine and new requirement
                >> can be added for more difficulty.
                >>

                >> Thank you for your attention.
                >> Best regards/chenyu (shanghai, China)
                >>

                >> Do you Yahoo!?
                >> Yahoo! Mail - More reliable, more storage, less spam

                Check out the new EudoraMail at
                http://www.eudoramail.com
              • Serguei A. Mokhov
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 23, 2004
                  On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, al kin wrote:

                  > i'm looking for a thesis topic in parallel computing. i'm wondering if i
                  > can find a parallel algorithm for VRP.

                  Why don't you attempt to parallelize existing ones?

                  --
                  Serguei A. Mokhov | /~\ The ASCII
                  Computer Science Department | \ / Ribbon Campaign
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 25, 2004

                    Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.

                    Any ideas, suggestions?

                    JESUS IS LORD AND HE REIGNETH FOREVER

                  • Arthur T. Murray
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 20, 2004
                      On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Famofo Julius Seun wrote:

                      > Hi, i am about to start my final year project in AI.
                      >
                      > Any ideas, suggestions?

                      Yes. You could work on implementing an artificial intelligence
                      based on the following theory-based Cognitive Architecture for AI:

                      http://freshmeat.net/projects/ai/#comment-30449 == AI has been solved.

                      Alife Main Artificial Intelligence Program Loop (or Ringlet of Modules)
                      --- enBoot (English Bootstrap)
                      --- Security
                      --- --- HCI (Human-Computer Interaction)
                      --- --- Rejuvenate (for cyborg immortality)
                      --- --- psiDecay
                      --- --- Ego
                      --- Sensorium
                      --- --- Audition
                      --- --- --- Listen
                      --- --- --- --- audSTM (auditory Short Term Memory)
                      --- --- --- --- --- audRecog (auditory Recognition)
                      --- --- --- oldConcept
                      --- --- --- --- Parser
                      --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
                      --- --- --- --- Activate
                      --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
                      --- --- --- newConcept (machine learning)
                      --- --- --- --- enVocab (English Vocabulary)
                      --- --- --- --- Parser
                      --- --- --- --- --- Instantiate
                      --- Emotion
                      --- Think
                      --- --- Activate
                      --- --- --- spreadAct (spreading Activation)
                      --- --- English
                      --- --- --- Ask
                      --- --- --- --- wtAuxSDo (what+Auxiliary+Subject+Do)
                      --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                      --- --- --- negSVO
                      --- --- --- --- auxVerb
                      --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                      --- --- --- SVO (Subject+Verb+Object)
                      --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
                      --- --- --- --- --- Reify
                      --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                      --- --- --- --- --- Activate
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- spreadAct
                      --- --- --- --- verbPhrase
                      --- --- --- --- --- Reify
                      --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                      --- --- --- --- --- nounPhrase
                      --- --- --- --- Conjoin
                      --- --- --- --- --- Speech
                      --- --- --- --- --- --- Reentry
                      --- Volition
                      --- Motorium

                      A.T. Murray
                      --
                      http://mind.sourceforge.net/aisteps.html#aitree -- AI Algorithm Steps
                      http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/307824.307853 -- ACM Sigplan on Mind.Forth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 22, 2004
                        Hello,
                        I have asked others to help me to translate it from Japanese
                        language. But it make me dispointed because it doesn't contain any
                        information about how to learning. This documents mainly discuss the
                        software "Mr.Log"'s brief information. This software use "TS (tubu
                        search)" and "SA(simulated annealing)" to solve the problem.

                        But after comparing many algorithm (methodology), I have decided to
                        use multi-agents (trading algorithm) to do my VRP project.
                        For GUI and data management, to use mapinfo.

                        If you are interested in VRP and want to make project on it. The
                        following paper may be useful to you.

                        1. about mapinfo and VRP
                        It contains some "machine learning" algorithm, but it doesn't say
                        details.
                        ==========================
                        magazine: journal of operational research society
                        August 2002, Volume 53, Number 8, Pages 842-854
                        Map-Route: a GIS-based decision support system for intra-city vehicle
                        routing with time windows
                        G Ioannou, M N Kritikos and G P Prastacos
                        Athens University of Economics and Business, Athens, Greece

                        Correspondence to: G Ioannou, Management Sciences Laboratory,
                        Graduate Program in Decision Sciences, Department of Management
                        Science and Technology, Athens University of Economics and Business,
                        8th Floor, 47A Evelpidon Street and 33 Lefkados Street, Athens 113-
                        62, Greece. E-mail: ioannou@...

                        2. multi-agent truck==========================
                        http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/455751.html
                        It shows why multi-agent method is better. It makes the system more
                        flexible and easy for adding more constraint.

                        Thank you for your attention.
                        kind regarsd
                        chenyu