RE: [aima-talk] Re: A* algorithm

  • E etech058
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2003
      Hello Imanpreet,
      I have read your email carefully, and then read the AIMA book again. My idea is as follows:
      1. A* will find the optimal (best) solution. It is correct.
      2. Your idea has one implicit assumption, which is not same as the book. That's you assume that "GOAL-TEST(NODE)" check will be run immediate after the "EXPAND" function. The correct one (AIMA books "GENERAL-SEARCH" pceudo-code) is "EXPAND", then "QUEUE-FN", then "GOAL-TEST".
      2.1 Your above implicit assumption means that you doesn't give the more chance to "A*" for finding more optimal solution.
      2.2 Explain by your example. After "Node B f(B)=120" is expanded, in the A* queue, 2 nodes exists. One is "Node D f(D)=180", the other is "Node C f(C)=140". Then (Please look at "GENERAL-SEARCH" pseudo-code) function "QUEUING-FN" will work. It will produce list which "Node B f(B)=120" is a header. In the next loop, "Node B" will be expanded. It means that although the goal of "Node D" has been founded, the A* will continue to run until it finds a optimal solution.
      3. I just think in the actual programming, your implicit assumption will be used. It means comparing between found pure optimal (A*) solution, the quick and efficient algorithm is more important.

      Kind regards/chenyu