Re: sorry,not the 3.14 in the 1st version,but 2st version

  • chenyu468
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "pu_shi2003" <pu_shi2003@y...>
      wrote:
      > Deeply sorry.

      I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here for
      discussion?

      kind regards/chenyu
    • Paolo Amoroso
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
        Chenyu writes:

        > I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here for
        > discussion?

        Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:

        Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and find a
        path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
        strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search engine
        be used to implement a predecessor function?

        Paolo
      • chenyu468
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@m...> wrote:
          > Chenyu writes:
          >
          > > I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here
          for
          > > discussion?
          >
          > Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:
          >
          > Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and
          find a
          > path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
          > strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search
          engine
          > be used to implement a predecessor function?

          By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
          1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
          other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
          not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
          through "google?

          2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
          2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
          table?

          kind regards/chenyu

          > Paolo
          > --
          > Why Lisp? http://alu.cliki.net/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
        • Paolo Amoroso
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
            Chenyu writes:

            > --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@m...> wrote:
            [...]
            >> Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:
            >>
            >> Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and
            > find a
            >> path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
            >> strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search
            > engine
            >> be used to implement a predecessor function?
            [...]
            > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?

            It's a function that, given a node N, returns all nodes that have
            links to N.

            Paolo
          • Brandon Corfman
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
              --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "chenyu468" <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
              > By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
              > 1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
              > other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
              > not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
              > through "google?
              >
              > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
              > 2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
              > table?

              1. This is not supposed to be an implementation of a search engine,
              but I think more of a "six degrees of websites" question. (Apologies
              to Kevin Bacon! See http://www.geocities.com/theeac/bacon.html )
              The question is just saying that for this problem a search engine can
              be used to implement a predecessor function.

              2. From the text,
              "Let the predecessors of a node n, Pred(n), be all those nodes that
              have n as a successor. Bidirectional search requires that Pred(n) be
              efficiently computable."

              Brandon
            • shi pu
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 9, 2003
                Hi,all:
                Thanks for your discussion.

                I have (kind of) implemented this problem.

                I scanned the starting URL,search for the key work "link",expand again and again with breadth-first order,and search the goal tree whether it contains the same Node; for the predecessor function,I used the Google's API because if you use "link:URL" as search query,then results will be the predecessor URLs.

                I don't know whether the bidirectional algorithm is best for this problem.The successful probability is about 40% using my program.

                Brandon Corfman <bcorfman@...> wrote:
                --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "chenyu468" <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
                > By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
                > 1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
                > other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
                > not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
                > through "google?
                >
                > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
                > 2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
                > table?

                1. This is not supposed to be an implementation of a search engine,
                but I think more of a "six degrees of websites" question. (Apologies
                to Kevin Bacon! See http://www.geocities.com/theeac/bacon.html )
                The question is just saying that for this problem a search engine can
                be used to implement a predecessor function.

                2. From the text,
                "Let the predecessors of a node n, Pred(n), be all those nodes that
                have n as a successor. Bidirectional search requires that Pred(n) be
                efficiently computable."

                Brandon

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Brandon Corfman
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 10, 2003
                  A bidirectional algorithm IMO would _have_ to be better because the
                  branching factor is cut down significantly. The only drawback I can
                  see is that Google's "link:URL" feature does not necessarily do a
                  great job of finding predecessors. (There seem to be a lot of holes in
                  its page indexing with this feature.) But for a problem this large, it
                  is probably the only practical alternative. You probably don't have
                  gigabytes of storage at your disposal. :-)

                  There is one thing : you mention using breadth-first search for node
                  expansion. You would only have to use that technique for one
                  direction, of course. The other direction could use a less
                  memory-intensive approach like depth-limited search that would allow
                  you to search more links.

                  As I mentioned previously, another option is to try to come up with
                  some sort of indication of how relevant a linked page is to the goal
                  page (perhaps by indexing relevant keywords on the sites). However,
                  that falls more under informed search, and that is a later chapter.

                  Brandon