sorry,not the 3.14 in the 1st version,but 2st version

  • pu_shi2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2003
      Deeply sorry.
    • chenyu468
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2003
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "pu_shi2003" <pu_shi2003@y...>
        wrote:
        > Deeply sorry.

        I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here for
        discussion?

        kind regards/chenyu
      • Paolo Amoroso
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
          Chenyu writes:

          > I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here for
          > discussion?

          Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:

          Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and find a
          path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
          strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search engine
          be used to implement a predecessor function?

          Paolo
        • chenyu468
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2003
            --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@m...> wrote:
            > Chenyu writes:
            >
            > > I have the 1st vesion AIMA. Could you write down the 3.14 here
            for
            > > discussion?
            >
            > Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:
            >
            > Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and
            find a
            > path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
            > strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search
            engine
            > be used to implement a predecessor function?

            By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
            1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
            other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
            not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
            through "google?

            2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
            2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
            table?

            kind regards/chenyu

            > Paolo
            > --
            > Why Lisp? http://alu.cliki.net/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
          • Paolo Amoroso
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
              Chenyu writes:

              > --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@m...> wrote:
              [...]
              >> Here is the text of exercise 3.14 from the 2nd edition of AIMA:
              >>
              >> Write a program that will take as input two Web page URLs and
              > find a
              >> path of links from one to the other. What is an appropriate search
              >> strategy? Is bidirectional search a good idea? Could a search
              > engine
              >> be used to implement a predecessor function?
              [...]
              > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?

              It's a function that, given a node N, returns all nodes that have
              links to N.

              Paolo
            • Brandon Corfman
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2003
                --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "chenyu468" <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
                > By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
                > 1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
                > other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
                > not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
                > through "google?
                >
                > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
                > 2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
                > table?

                1. This is not supposed to be an implementation of a search engine,
                but I think more of a "six degrees of websites" question. (Apologies
                to Kevin Bacon! See http://www.geocities.com/theeac/bacon.html )
                The question is just saying that for this problem a search engine can
                be used to implement a predecessor function.

                2. From the text,
                "Let the predecessors of a node n, Pred(n), be all those nodes that
                have n as a successor. Bidirectional search requires that Pred(n) be
                efficiently computable."

                Brandon
              • shi pu
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 9, 2003
                  Hi,all:
                  Thanks for your discussion.

                  I have (kind of) implemented this problem.

                  I scanned the starting URL,search for the key work "link",expand again and again with breadth-first order,and search the goal tree whether it contains the same Node; for the predecessor function,I used the Google's API because if you use "link:URL" as search query,then results will be the predecessor URLs.

                  I don't know whether the bidirectional algorithm is best for this problem.The successful probability is about 40% using my program.

                  Brandon Corfman <bcorfman@...> wrote:
                  --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "chenyu468" <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
                  > By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
                  > 1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
                  > other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
                  > not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
                  > through "google?
                  >
                  > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
                  > 2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
                  > table?

                  1. This is not supposed to be an implementation of a search engine,
                  but I think more of a "six degrees of websites" question. (Apologies
                  to Kevin Bacon! See http://www.geocities.com/theeac/bacon.html )
                  The question is just saying that for this problem a search engine can
                  be used to implement a predecessor function.

                  2. From the text,
                  "Let the predecessors of a node n, Pred(n), be all those nodes that
                  have n as a successor. Bidirectional search requires that Pred(n) be
                  efficiently computable."

                  Brandon

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Brandon Corfman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 10, 2003
                    A bidirectional algorithm IMO would _have_ to be better because the
                    branching factor is cut down significantly. The only drawback I can
                    see is that Google's "link:URL" feature does not necessarily do a
                    great job of finding predecessors. (There seem to be a lot of holes in
                    its page indexing with this feature.) But for a problem this large, it
                    is probably the only practical alternative. You probably don't have
                    gigabytes of storage at your disposal. :-)

                    There is one thing : you mention using breadth-first search for node
                    expansion. You would only have to use that technique for one
                    direction, of course. The other direction could use a less
                    memory-intensive approach like depth-limited search that would allow
                    you to search more links.

                    As I mentioned previously, another option is to try to come up with
                    some sort of indication of how relevant a linked page is to the goal
                    page (perhaps by indexing relevant keywords on the sites). However,
                    that falls more under informed search, and that is a later chapter.

                    Brandon