BNF and Psedo code? (Re:Wumpus)

  • chenyu468
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare"
      <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

      > Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in
      this
      > book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on
      them
      > for us to learn these?

      The book's writing style may be like this: a simple problem ( provide
      simple solution -> a complex problem (provided modified solution or
      renewed solutions )-> more complex problem (provided better solution
      or renewed solutions) - > more practical problem for thinking

      In the above solutions, the author give the natural language
      (English) to show the main idea for how to solve the problem. The
      description is long but clear and easy to understand, but it is also
      difficult to remember and for further analysis and implementation (by
      lisp or python etc computer language).
      Therefore, almost for the above every solutions, the author provides
      Psedo code together, it is much shorter. Because it doesn't contains
      description, if you only read the Psedo code for understanding, it is
      difficult.

      In addition, BNF doesn't appear (if I remember) until the "natural
      langauge" related chapters. Therefore BNF will not become your
      obstacle in learning (from "agent" chapter to "planning" chapter).

      My first suggestion is to read the solution's description and Psedo
      code together, not seperately, even if they are on the different
      pages ( You need to turn pages repeatedly. ).

      My second suggestion is to read patiently. It is impossible to learn
      AI in 2 or 3 months, even for a genius. But it is worth to spend time.

      kind regards/chenyu