BNF and Psedo code? (Re:Wumpus)

  • Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in this
      book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on them
      for us to learn these?

      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Peter Norvig <peter@n...> wrote:
      > This line of pseudocode says to take the agent's program and apply
      it
      > to the agent's percept, in order to get the agent's action. If
      there
      > were only one agent, it would be
      >
      > action <-- program(percept())
      >
      > It is connected to the environment in that the percept function is
      > determined by the environment.
    • chenyu468
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare"
        <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

        > Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in
        this
        > book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on
        them
        > for us to learn these?

        The book's writing style may be like this: a simple problem ( provide
        simple solution -> a complex problem (provided modified solution or
        renewed solutions )-> more complex problem (provided better solution
        or renewed solutions) - > more practical problem for thinking

        In the above solutions, the author give the natural language
        (English) to show the main idea for how to solve the problem. The
        description is long but clear and easy to understand, but it is also
        difficult to remember and for further analysis and implementation (by
        lisp or python etc computer language).
        Therefore, almost for the above every solutions, the author provides
        Psedo code together, it is much shorter. Because it doesn't contains
        description, if you only read the Psedo code for understanding, it is
        difficult.

        In addition, BNF doesn't appear (if I remember) until the "natural
        langauge" related chapters. Therefore BNF will not become your
        obstacle in learning (from "agent" chapter to "planning" chapter).

        My first suggestion is to read the solution's description and Psedo
        code together, not seperately, even if they are on the different
        pages ( You need to turn pages repeatedly. ).

        My second suggestion is to read patiently. It is impossible to learn
        AI in 2 or 3 months, even for a genius. But it is worth to spend time.

        kind regards/chenyu