Re: Wumpus ! Help

  • chenyu468
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 27, 2003
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Maithreebhanu <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

      > Could any one please explian to me the wupus example in chapter 6.
      >
      > -bhanu

      > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

      In chapter 6, the wupus example is a little difficult understand for
      the read of first time. It just gives the abstruct structure for how
      to describe and solve problem. I think because it is difficult to
      implement this method, therefore the author doesn't give the exercise
      for programming. But wupus example has been used in chapter 8 (if I
      remember) and much better method has been used for handling this
      problem.
      Maybe you could continue read for comparing these chapters for
      further understanding.
      In addition, Mr. norvig has provided source code for "wumpus"
      problems by lisp in the "agent" and "logic" (If I remember) folders,
      you could check it. The java source code is also available for
      this "wumpus" problem.

      kind regards/chenyu
    • Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
        thank you chenyu, I shall certainly follow your advice. But i have
        another question. In figure 2.14 (pg 48 ed1) the books gives psuedo
        code for the environment, the line

        Action[agent]<-- Program[agent](Percept[agent])

        is unclear. And how this maps to wupus world enviornment?
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          This line of pseudocode says to take the agent's program and apply it
          to the agent's percept, in order to get the agent's action. If there
          were only one agent, it would be

          action <-- program(percept())

          It is connected to the environment in that the percept function is
          determined by the environment.

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
            Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in this
            book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on them
            for us to learn these?

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
              --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare"
              <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

              > Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in
              this
              > book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on
              them
              > for us to learn these?

              The book's writing style may be like this: a simple problem ( provide
              simple solution -> a complex problem (provided modified solution or
              renewed solutions )-> more complex problem (provided better solution
              or renewed solutions) - > more practical problem for thinking

              In the above solutions, the author give the natural language
              (English) to show the main idea for how to solve the problem. The
              description is long but clear and easy to understand, but it is also
              difficult to remember and for further analysis and implementation (by
              lisp or python etc computer language).
              Therefore, almost for the above every solutions, the author provides
              Psedo code together, it is much shorter. Because it doesn't contains
              description, if you only read the Psedo code for understanding, it is
              difficult.

              In addition, BNF doesn't appear (if I remember) until the "natural
              langauge" related chapters. Therefore BNF will not become your
              obstacle in learning (from "agent" chapter to "planning" chapter).

              My first suggestion is to read the solution's description and Psedo
              code together, not seperately, even if they are on the different
              pages ( You need to turn pages repeatedly. ).

              My second suggestion is to read patiently. It is impossible to learn
              AI in 2 or 3 months, even for a genius. But it is worth to spend time.

              kind regards/chenyu