Wumpus ! Help

  • Maithreebhanu
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 26, 2003

      Could any one please explian to me the wupus example in chapter 6.

      -bhanu

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
    • chenyu468
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 27, 2003
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Maithreebhanu <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

        > Could any one please explian to me the wupus example in chapter 6.
        >
        > -bhanu

        > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

        In chapter 6, the wupus example is a little difficult understand for
        the read of first time. It just gives the abstruct structure for how
        to describe and solve problem. I think because it is difficult to
        implement this method, therefore the author doesn't give the exercise
        for programming. But wupus example has been used in chapter 8 (if I
        remember) and much better method has been used for handling this
        problem.
        Maybe you could continue read for comparing these chapters for
        further understanding.
        In addition, Mr. norvig has provided source code for "wumpus"
        problems by lisp in the "agent" and "logic" (If I remember) folders,
        you could check it. The java source code is also available for
        this "wumpus" problem.

        kind regards/chenyu
      • Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
          thank you chenyu, I shall certainly follow your advice. But i have
          another question. In figure 2.14 (pg 48 ed1) the books gives psuedo
          code for the environment, the line

          Action[agent]<-- Program[agent](Percept[agent])

          is unclear. And how this maps to wupus world enviornment?
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
            This line of pseudocode says to take the agent's program and apply it
            to the agent's percept, in order to get the agent's action. If there
            were only one agent, it would be

            action <-- program(percept())

            It is connected to the environment in that the percept function is
            determined by the environment.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
              Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in this
              book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on them
              for us to learn these?

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
                --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare"
                <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

                > Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in
                this
                > book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on
                them
                > for us to learn these?

                The book's writing style may be like this: a simple problem ( provide
                simple solution -> a complex problem (provided modified solution or
                renewed solutions )-> more complex problem (provided better solution
                or renewed solutions) - > more practical problem for thinking

                In the above solutions, the author give the natural language
                (English) to show the main idea for how to solve the problem. The
                description is long but clear and easy to understand, but it is also
                difficult to remember and for further analysis and implementation (by
                lisp or python etc computer language).
                Therefore, almost for the above every solutions, the author provides
                Psedo code together, it is much shorter. Because it doesn't contains
                description, if you only read the Psedo code for understanding, it is
                difficult.

                In addition, BNF doesn't appear (if I remember) until the "natural
                langauge" related chapters. Therefore BNF will not become your
                obstacle in learning (from "agent" chapter to "planning" chapter).

                My first suggestion is to read the solution's description and Psedo
                code together, not seperately, even if they are on the different
                pages ( You need to turn pages repeatedly. ).

                My second suggestion is to read patiently. It is impossible to learn
                AI in 2 or 3 months, even for a genius. But it is worth to spend time.

                kind regards/chenyu