many ambiguous questions in AIMA

  • gobigredhuskers2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 25, 2003
      for some reason, i really feel that some problmes in the textbook
      are really ambiguous, or hard to understand what it asks for. Or
      just because I am too stupid.
      For example in 18.8 (b)
      show class probability p/(p+n) minimize the sum of squared errors.

      what does class probability means?
      does it mean the probability of the positive example occur in the
      set?
      in order to minimize a function, it must be that some varible takes
      some value to minimize it. Here, who takes the value of p/(p+n)?

      any reason why the question is kept hard to understand?

      there are other examples in the textbook which i just could not
      understand what exactly it asks for?

      maybe i just should not learn AI?
    • Maithreebhanu
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 26, 2003

        Could any one please explian to me the wupus example in chapter 6.

        -bhanu

        Do you Yahoo!?
        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      • chenyu468
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 27, 2003
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Maithreebhanu <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

          > Could any one please explian to me the wupus example in chapter 6.
          >
          > -bhanu

          > Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

          In chapter 6, the wupus example is a little difficult understand for
          the read of first time. It just gives the abstruct structure for how
          to describe and solve problem. I think because it is difficult to
          implement this method, therefore the author doesn't give the exercise
          for programming. But wupus example has been used in chapter 8 (if I
          remember) and much better method has been used for handling this
          problem.
          Maybe you could continue read for comparing these chapters for
          further understanding.
          In addition, Mr. norvig has provided source code for "wumpus"
          problems by lisp in the "agent" and "logic" (If I remember) folders,
          you could check it. The java source code is also available for
          this "wumpus" problem.

          kind regards/chenyu
        • Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
            thank you chenyu, I shall certainly follow your advice. But i have
            another question. In figure 2.14 (pg 48 ed1) the books gives psuedo
            code for the environment, the line

            Action[agent]<-- Program[agent](Percept[agent])

            is unclear. And how this maps to wupus world enviornment?
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 29, 2003
              This line of pseudocode says to take the agent's program and apply it
              to the agent's percept, in order to get the agent's action. If there
              were only one agent, it would be

              action <-- program(percept())

              It is connected to the environment in that the percept function is
              determined by the environment.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
                Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in this
                book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on them
                for us to learn these?

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
                  --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Maithreebhanu Wimalasekare"
                  <bhanu128@y...> wrote:

                  > Thank you for helping me out. I find BNF and Psedo code used in
                  this
                  > book to diificult to grasp at first. Are there any documents on
                  them
                  > for us to learn these?

                  The book's writing style may be like this: a simple problem ( provide
                  simple solution -> a complex problem (provided modified solution or
                  renewed solutions )-> more complex problem (provided better solution
                  or renewed solutions) - > more practical problem for thinking

                  In the above solutions, the author give the natural language
                  (English) to show the main idea for how to solve the problem. The
                  description is long but clear and easy to understand, but it is also
                  difficult to remember and for further analysis and implementation (by
                  lisp or python etc computer language).
                  Therefore, almost for the above every solutions, the author provides
                  Psedo code together, it is much shorter. Because it doesn't contains
                  description, if you only read the Psedo code for understanding, it is
                  difficult.

                  In addition, BNF doesn't appear (if I remember) until the "natural
                  langauge" related chapters. Therefore BNF will not become your
                  obstacle in learning (from "agent" chapter to "planning" chapter).

                  My first suggestion is to read the solution's description and Psedo
                  code together, not seperately, even if they are on the different
                  pages ( You need to turn pages repeatedly. ).

                  My second suggestion is to read patiently. It is impossible to learn
                  AI in 2 or 3 months, even for a genius. But it is worth to spend time.

                  kind regards/chenyu