Re: about Chap5. ac-3 algorithm's java code

  • Brandon Corfman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
      If I'm understanding your message correctly, you mean that the method
      AC-3 "does nothing" for the CSP instance you are working on? Certainly
      it has a purpose -- to enforce arc consistency. If the CSP passed into
      the method is arc-consistent in the first place, then the method won't
      make any changes.

      The general idea behind arc-consistency is to preemptively remove
      values from the domains that are inconsistent with the constraints of
      the problem. It is always a good idea to evaluate how useful AC is for
      your particular CSP -- for some problems, it is too expensive to use
      it. (Source: http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/55167.html , p. 11)

      You can look at this web page for supplemental material on AC-3.
      http://kti.ms.mff.cuni.cz/%7Ebartak/constraints/consistent.html

      Best regards,
      Brandon