about Chap5. ac-3 algorithm's java code

  • Alex0215
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 16, 2003
      hi all :

      i just download the java code from the respository,
      and then i try out the CSP search program,
      but i find out that the things weird,
      the ac-3 algorithm, that is. in the code ,
      a method name as AC3(csp) , and i observe
      the detail code and figure out that it does nothing !!!

      why the method AC-3 seems so weird??
      somebody can give me the clues ??

      Alex.
    • Brandon Corfman
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
        If I'm understanding your message correctly, you mean that the method
        AC-3 "does nothing" for the CSP instance you are working on? Certainly
        it has a purpose -- to enforce arc consistency. If the CSP passed into
        the method is arc-consistent in the first place, then the method won't
        make any changes.

        The general idea behind arc-consistency is to preemptively remove
        values from the domains that are inconsistent with the constraints of
        the problem. It is always a good idea to evaluate how useful AC is for
        your particular CSP -- for some problems, it is too expensive to use
        it. (Source: http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/55167.html , p. 11)

        You can look at this web page for supplemental material on AC-3.
        http://kti.ms.mff.cuni.cz/%7Ebartak/constraints/consistent.html

        Best regards,
        Brandon