Re: [aima-talk] Problem 4.6 : 8-puzzle nonadmissible heuristic

  • Giuliano
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
      The sum of the squares of Manhatan distances.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "gobigredhuskers2000"
        <gobigredhuskers2000@y...> wrote:
        > never good at 8-puzzle.
        > could anyone help me finding a heuristics which overestimates
        > sometimes.
        > almost totally lost in the field
        > thx

        Our class has an assignment on this due soon, so I can't give you a
        specific answer; however, as a hint, consider rules one might apply
        for finding admissible heuristics and what would happen if you did
        the exact opposite.

        Also, think about the definition of admissible, i.e., a heuristic
        which is _guaranteed_ not to overestimate the cost of getting from a
        node to the goal. What kinds of functions would violate that
        guarantee?

        I hope this helps!