Problem 4.6 : 8-puzzle nonadmissible heuristic

  • gobigredhuskers2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
      never good at 8-puzzle.
      could anyone help me finding a heuristics which overestimates
      sometimes.
      almost totally lost in the field
      thx
    • Giuliano
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2003
        The sum of the squares of Manhatan distances.

        > could anyone help me finding a heuristics which overestimates
        > sometimes.
        > almost totally lost in the field
        > thx

      • palookabutt
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2003
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "gobigredhuskers2000"
          <gobigredhuskers2000@y...> wrote:
          > never good at 8-puzzle.
          > could anyone help me finding a heuristics which overestimates
          > sometimes.
          > almost totally lost in the field
          > thx

          Our class has an assignment on this due soon, so I can't give you a
          specific answer; however, as a hint, consider rules one might apply
          for finding admissible heuristics and what would happen if you did
          the exact opposite.

          Also, think about the definition of admissible, i.e., a heuristic
          which is _guaranteed_ not to overestimate the cost of getting from a
          node to the goal. What kinds of functions would violate that
          guarantee?

          I hope this helps!