Re: [aima-talk] Fringe

  • Brandon Corfman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
      Ah, I thought that fringe might be referring to a specific data structure I hadn't heard of before. Thanks for the explanation.

      Brandon

      Peter Norvig wrote:
      The collection of nodes is a queue of nodes that are on the fringe of
      the graph -- fringe meaning the frontier, or the leaf nodes of the
      expanding graph.  We thought that "fringe" was a better name than
      "queue" because it indicates what this is a collection of, rather than
      how the collection is implemented.  Similarly, if you had a list of
      employee names in a payroll problem, then "names" would probably be a
      better variable name than "list".

      -Peter Norvig

      On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 09:31  AM, Brandon Corfman wrote:

      The graph-search and tree-search algorithms in chapter 3 of the 2nd
      edition use a "fringe" variable to maintain the queue of nodes. Does
      anyone know why the word "fringe" is used to describe this? The 1st
      edition talked about a queue instead (actually, an "enqueue" function)
      and I thought that terminology was more straightforward. Does the word
      "fringe" have a more specific meaning than queue?

      Thanks,
      Brandon

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/7brrlB/TM