Fringe

  • Brandon Corfman
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4 9:31 AM
      The graph-search and tree-search algorithms in chapter 3 of the 2nd
      edition use a "fringe" variable to maintain the queue of nodes. Does
      anyone know why the word "fringe" is used to describe this? The 1st
      edition talked about a queue instead (actually, an "enqueue" function)
      and I thought that terminology was more straightforward. Does the word
      "fringe" have a more specific meaning than queue?

      Thanks,
      Brandon
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5 2:23 PM
        The collection of nodes is a queue of nodes that are on the fringe of
        the graph -- fringe meaning the frontier, or the leaf nodes of the
        expanding graph. We thought that "fringe" was a better name than
        "queue" because it indicates what this is a collection of, rather than
        how the collection is implemented. Similarly, if you had a list of
        employee names in a payroll problem, then "names" would probably be a
        better variable name than "list".

        -Peter Norvig

        On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 09:31 AM, Brandon Corfman wrote:

        > The graph-search and tree-search algorithms in chapter 3 of the 2nd
        > edition use a "fringe" variable to maintain the queue of nodes. Does
        > anyone know why the word "fringe" is used to describe this? The 1st
        > edition talked about a queue instead (actually, an "enqueue" function)
        > and I thought that terminology was more straightforward. Does the word
        > "fringe" have a more specific meaning than queue?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Brandon

      • Brandon Corfman
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5 2:51 PM
          Ah, I thought that fringe might be referring to a specific data structure I hadn't heard of before. Thanks for the explanation.

          Brandon

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/7brrlB/TM