Neural Network - layers in a net

  • Alberto Vera
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 12:33 PM
      Hello:

      Could you tell me about any method to answer this questions?
      a) How many hidden layers do I set in a neural network?
      b) How many neurons do I set for each hidden layer ?
      c) how many layers is it better to set in a neural network?

      Regards

      Yahoo! Messenger
      Nueva versión: Super Webcam, voz, caritas animadas, y más ¡Gratis!
    • Serguei A. Mokhov
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 1:21 PM
        On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] Alberto Vera wrote:

        > Hello:
        >
        > Could you tell me about any method to answer this questions?
        > a) How many hidden layers do I set in a neural network?
        > b) How many neurons do I set for each hidden layer ?
        > c) how many layers is it better to set in a neural network?

        These are /research/ questions. For c) minimum you have to have two, input
        and output layers. a) and c) and number of links (it may not necessarily
        be a fully-connected network) are a research component. Try :) To be
        computationally-feasible on a "commodity" class machines don't try too
        many hidden layers with many neurons in a fully-connected network.

        To give a few numbers: in one of our projects a net of 512 input neurons,
        32 output neurons, a hidden layer of 1024, then 512, then 256 (a total of
        5 layers) on my PIII, 550Mhz, 512Mb of RAM has never completed because it
        ran out of memory.

        --
        Serguei A. Mokhov
        Computer Science Department
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3 2:39 PM
          You will find many rules of thumb to say exactly how many layers or
          units to put into a network. Don't believe them. The best answer is to
          search the parameter space and use cross-validation. A helpful
          discussion is at
          http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/public/home/decoste/HTMLS/NN/FAQ/
          FAQ2.html#A_hu