Question

  • bhargav prajapati
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23 2:31 AM
      Respected,

      my name is bhargav. I have completed my study in Bachelor Of Computer Applicartion.

      my question is:

      What the intelligence can create Fellings?

    • Michael Schuerig
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23 4:19 AM
        On Friday 23 May 2003 11:31, bhargav prajapati wrote:

        > What the intelligence can create Fellings?

        It all depends on what you mean by "feelings".

        If you extend the question somewhat to "Can purely algorithmic processes
        in a system result in the system having feelings", then you get one of
        the hot topics of recent philosophy of mind. Important players are Ned
        Block, David Chalmers, Thomas Nagel, John Searle, Sidney Shoemaker and,
        of course, Daniel Dennett.

        Basically, the debate boils down to an unmitigated opposition between
        those who believe in (philosophical) Zombies and those who don't.
        Zombies in this sense are creatures who behave absolutely
        indistinguishable from ordinary people -- but who don't feel anything,
        they don't have "qualia" (philo jargon for raw feelings).

        So, if you would insist that feelings are something above and beyond
        behavior, utterances, predispositions -- that is, things that can be
        discernd from a scientific, third-person perspective. And if you
        instead claimed that you have privileged, exclusive, first-person
        access to "what it's like". Well, then there's no way from algorithmic
        process to feelings.

        People who favor this big-R Realist view of qualia conceive of the
        feelings themselves as something in need of explanation. In my opinion,
        this is a futile endeavor. Instead, I side with those (Dennett), who
        more or less see our *verbal reports of feelings* as the thing to
        explain. Feelings in this sense are (small-r) real, too, as they
        obviously have an explanatory role in our mental economy.

        HTH,
        Michael

        --
        Michael Schuerig Not only does lightning not strike
        mailto:schuerig@... twice, it usually doesn't strike once.
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2013
          I have a doubt related to "Breadth-first Search". In this strategy you first verify if a node is the goal and, if it is not, you create its children and then verify the next node at the same level. In the worst case, you create the children of all the nodes at a level, except for the last one, which is the goal, that is,           b^(d+1)-b nodes.  The question is: wouldn't it be better to create the children after all the nodes of a determined level have been verified? What is the advantage of creating nodes that may not be verified? I think it would be useful a brief explanation about this in the book Artificial Intelligence.

          Jarbas Joaci de Mesquita Junior

        • HB
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2013
            I am not sure which edition of the book you have, but in the third edition BFS is modified to test for goal when the node is generated not when expanded. With this, the complexity is O(b^d) instead of O(b^(d+1)). This also implies that no level is generated if the goal is contained in the previous level.

            Regards,

            H.B.