Problems given at the end of each chapter

  • maddalab@yahoo.co.in
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2001
      Hi all,
      I am a beginner to the field of AI, and am currently using the book
      to get started. I was looking at the problems at the end of the
      second chapter, some of which ask for the implementation. Ex 2.5 I
      just wanted to know on how to go about it. Do I do it in lisp? Is
      there a code base that I could use? How do i go about it? Can some
      one please help me get started

      Thanks
      Bhaskar Maddala
    • BRANDON C CORFMAN
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2001
        Hi Bhaskar,

        I'm going through the book as well, and I'm one chapter ahead of you. Since
        I've done my own version of VacuumWorld, I can offer a few things.

        1) You don't need to code it in Lisp. I did it in C++, but the algorithms
        from the chapter are very general and can be coded in your own favorite
        language. I notice the authors now leaning toward Java, so you could try
        that.
        2) For my version, the most important things were creating a data structure
        for the vacuum grid world and then another sub-grid of the simulation grid
        for the agent for where it can see and move for every turn (since you don't
        want the agent to be able to evaluate its moves by looking at the whole
        grid.) For each grid square, there is a state, as is mentioned in the
        chapter. This can be a struct or class in C++/Java, with each field of the
        struct representing whether there's dirt or not, whether the square is
        occupied, etc. (I used bits to represent states being on or off in my C++
        implementation.) Then the rest of the problem involves creating an agent
        class that can look and move around its subgrid and fire a rule based on the
        state in its square.

        If you want, you can take a look at my implementation at
        http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bcorfm1
        However, it will probably be helpful only if you know C++ and the Standard
        Template Library (STL) fairly well.

        Brandon