Re: Cryptarithmetic puzzles

  • george3770549
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2003
      I'd be glad to try to implement such a beast. I think the method
      would be to define 'neighbors' groups for example neigbors = [[O R
      X1],[X1 W U X2],[X2 T O X3],[X3 F]]
      A parse neighbors would split these into dictionary elements O:[O R X1]
      R:[O R X1] X1:[O R X1] etc.

      Then each reference to elements of neighbors list must be examined and
      in most cases modified to properly handle lists of variables

      The definition of the constraints function needs to be modified
      it could be constraints(A,a,B,b...) with alternating vars and values
      or constrains(Varlist,Vallist) with lists of variables and values.

      Does this seem like a good way to go, or is it heading up or down a
      blind alley?

      george

      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Peter Norvig <peter@n...> wrote:
      > Are you asking me to implement them, or are you offering to?
      >
      > -Peter
      >
      > On Monday, May 19, 2003, at 02:08 PM, george3770549 wrote:
      >
      > > I'd be interested in an extension to csp Module (csp.py) which would
      > > hand dle Higher-order Constraints as suggested on page 140, or
      > > equivalently discussion of exercise 5.11.

    • george3770549
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2003
        A significant revision to my earler thoughts on this issue:

        After rereading problem 5.11 the tuple '[X Y Z]' should parse to