Re: [aima-talk] C++ or Java for urban simulation .. please help

  • Mohammad Jannati Fard
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003

      Dear Sir/Madam,

      I suggest to use Java, since it is universally approved in academia and also it is easier to learn and code (since its higher level than C++).I Think you will enjoy it :).

                                                         Sincerely,
                                                         Mohammad Jannati

       "knasef <nasef@...>" <nasef@...> wrote:

      Dear Group Member,

      I am a PhD student in Urban Planning working in urban simulation
      modeling.  My research is going toward using agent-based modeling
      technique.  As I am completely  new to the this area of reaserch, I
      register for an AI course teaching the text book AIMA.   I am also
      looking forward to learn a programming language to help me building
      agents applications.   I will appreciate your argent advice to select
      between two introductory level courses offered this semester, one in
      C++ and other in Java�.   Which one to select??? Please help.

      Thanks to all of you.

    • BRANDON C CORFMAN
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
        You'd actually be better off learning Python as an intro language, but
        given the two choices of C++ or Java, it's easier to be productive more
        quickly in Java. (Even though I am a C++ guy, there are too many
        low-level details that most texts deal with, and you'd need a good
        teacher to steer you toward high-level concepts like the STL. Most of
        the time that doesn't happen.) Plus Java has some dynamic features that
        can make it more like Lisp or Python.

        Brandon