C++ or Java for urban simulation .. please help

  • knasef <nasef@emirates.net.ae>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27, 2003
      Dear Group Member,

      I am a PhD student in Urban Planning working in urban simulation
      modeling. My research is going toward using agent-based modeling
      technique. As I am completely new to the this area of reaserch, I
      register for an AI course teaching the text book AIMA. I am also
      looking forward to learn a programming language to help me building
      agents applications. I will appreciate your argent advice to select
      between two introductory level courses offered this semester, one in
      C++ and other in Java…. Which one to select??? Please help.

      Thanks to all of you.
    • Mohammad Jannati Fard
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003

        Dear Sir/Madam,

        I suggest to use Java, since it is universally approved in academia and also it is easier to learn and code (since its higher level than C++).I Think you will enjoy it :).

                                                           Sincerely,
                                                           Mohammad Jannati

         "knasef <nasef@...>" <nasef@...> wrote:

        Dear Group Member,

        I am a PhD student in Urban Planning working in urban simulation
        modeling.  My research is going toward using agent-based modeling
        technique.  As I am completely  new to the this area of reaserch, I
        register for an AI course teaching the text book AIMA.   I am also
        looking forward to learn a programming language to help me building
        agents applications.   I will appreciate your argent advice to select
        between two introductory level courses offered this semester, one in
        C++ and other in Java�.   Which one to select??? Please help.

        Thanks to all of you.

      • BRANDON C CORFMAN
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 28, 2003
          You'd actually be better off learning Python as an intro language, but
          given the two choices of C++ or Java, it's easier to be productive more
          quickly in Java. (Even though I am a C++ guy, there are too many
          low-level details that most texts deal with, and you'd need a good
          teacher to steer you toward high-level concepts like the STL. Most of
          the time that doesn't happen.) Plus Java has some dynamic features that
          can make it more like Lisp or Python.

          Brandon