open problems in AI

  • schokn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 23, 2002
      What are some of the top open problems in AI?
      (I've searched google for this and find mostly vague
      stuff like "what is the nature of intelligence" etc.)

      In 1900, Hilbert listed what he considered to be
      some of the most important open problems in mathematics
      and this led to a lot of groundbreaking research...

      It would be nice to have a list like Hilbert's of
      concrete important open problems or challenges in AI...
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2002
        A Google search for
        "artificial intelligence" "challenge problem"
        yields interesting results. (For the first result, I had to use the
        "cached" feature; I don't know if this is a temporary or persistent
        problem with the Microsoft Research page.)

        These challenge problems are more practical-oriented than Hilbert's
        problems, but then AI is more practically-oriented than Math.

        -Peter