838Chapter 3 discussion

  • kiana
    Sep 24, 2008
      I understand the material in the chapter. However, the exercises are
      completely confusing to me. Therefore, a discussion of the chapter may
      clarify. For the 8-puzzle problem, I am not able to understand the
      existence of two disjoint sets of all possible states in which a state
      from one set can't transform to a state in the other set by any number
      of moves. I would assume any state can be reached by in other state. In
      other words, there are situations (initial state - goal configuration)
      in which the puzzle isn't solvable? Does the two disjoint sets exit
      because the problem becomes an NP-Complete problem for those states
      trying to reach the states in the other disjoint set. And, the 9!/2
      calculation for all possible states derives from this theorem of
      exactly half of the possible states transform into a given goal, is
      this true?
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic