      Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:08:35 +0800
      From: Paul Hsueh-Min Chang
      Subject: Problem about the J.R. Lucas sentence

      Hi,

      On page 950, the book argues that the sentence "J. R. Lucas cannot
      consistently assert that this sentence is true." is necessarily true,
      but Lucas cannot consistently assert it. There are two arguments on that
      page. I found no problem with the first argument, but could not
      understand the second.

      Here is the second argument.

      "The sentence cannot be false, because if it were then Lucas could not
      consistently assert it, so it would be true."

      But, why couldn't Lucas consistently assert it /if it were false/? One
      can of course assert a false sentence and be consistent at the same
      time, because one is inconsistent if and only if it is /impossible/ that
      all his beliefs are true. If Lucas happens to believe a false sentence,
      he is still consistent.

      Please help/correct me.

      Paul

      http://mail.yahoo.com