291chapter 8 (knowledge base) exercise question about representation
- Dec 9, 2003Hello,
I have tried to do exercise of chapter 8 and found it is more
difficult than previous chapters.
I have listed my answer and my consideration about one exercise.
Could you give me your ideas?
8.2 a.Water boils at 100 degrees.
All e belong(e,Boil(Water)) <==> Temperature(Water) = 100
1. after reading General Ontology about Events. Is the represenation
8.2 b. The water in John's water bottle is frozen.
Some x, Some y, Belong(x,Water)^In(x,y)^Type(y)=bottle^owner(y)
1. I think "bottle" is a category word, it is countable, so "bottle"
can't be used to especially pointed to this John's water bottle.
Therefore variable "y" is added. Is it right?
2. I think it is not necessary to give a name to the object in the
John's water bottle. Therefore variable "x" is added. Is it right?
3. How to represent the "water bottle"?
I have used Type(y)=bottle^Purpose(y)=Water. Does better
represetation exists, and how?
4. I don't know it is suitable to use "variable like x, y" when
represent fact not rule. How about your idea?
8.2 d All liquid has a freezing point.
My first answer:
All x, Status(x) = liquid ==> some m, (FreezingPoint(x) = Centigrade
My second answer:
All x, Some e, belong(e,Status(x) = liquid) ==> some m, (FreezingPoint
(x) = Centigrade(m))
1. I think that the first answer is wrong, because it restricts the
pre-condition and it is different from the statement.
2. I don't know the predicate "FreezingPoint" is too long,
like "VerySmallBearBrain". How do you think about it?
Thank you for your attention.
- Next post in topic >>