286Re: sorry,not the 3.14 in the 1st version,but 2st version

  • Brandon Corfman
    Dec 8, 2003
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "chenyu468" <chenyu468@y...> wrote:
      > By the way, I have 2 stupid pre-questions:
      > 1. Why it is necessary to search a path of links from one URL to the
      > other URL? When we search through google, we always entry "key word"
      > not "URL". If we know the "URL" already, what's the need to search
      > through "google?
      >
      > 2. What's the meaning of "predecessor function"?
      > 2.1 In the version 1 of AIMA, I can't find this concept in the Index
      > table?

      1. This is not supposed to be an implementation of a search engine,
      but I think more of a "six degrees of websites" question. (Apologies
      to Kevin Bacon! See http://www.geocities.com/theeac/bacon.html )
      The question is just saying that for this problem a search engine can
      be used to implement a predecessor function.

      2. From the text,
      "Let the predecessors of a node n, Pred(n), be all those nodes that
      have n as a successor. Bidirectional search requires that Pred(n) be
      efficiently computable."

      Brandon
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic