174Re: [aima-talk] Neural Network - layers in a net

  • Serguei A. Mokhov
    Jun 3, 2003
      On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] Alberto Vera wrote:

      > Hello:
      >
      > Could you tell me about any method to answer this questions?
      > a) How many hidden layers do I set in a neural network?
      > b) How many neurons do I set for each hidden layer ?
      > c) how many layers is it better to set in a neural network?

      These are /research/ questions. For c) minimum you have to have two, input
      and output layers. a) and c) and number of links (it may not necessarily
      be a fully-connected network) are a research component. Try :) To be
      computationally-feasible on a "commodity" class machines don't try too
      many hidden layers with many neurons in a fully-connected network.

      To give a few numbers: in one of our projects a net of 512 input neurons,
      32 output neurons, a hidden layer of 1024, then 512, then 256 (a total of
      5 layers) on my PIII, 550Mhz, 512Mb of RAM has never completed because it
      ran out of memory.

      --
      Serguei A. Mokhov
      Computer Science Department