Re: [ai-philosophy] Forum Heat Death

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 30, 2013
      Well you tell me where energy came from. :)

      What's hostile about a good joke? Watchmaker argument was never good and scientists don't take it so seriously.

      --
      Eray Ozkural
      http://myspace.com/arizanesil

      On Aug 30, 2013, at 10:47 PM, "Roger Clough"<rclough@...> wrote:

      > Hi Eray Ozkural
      >

      > Wy are you so hostle ? I thught you were a scientist,
      > here you are trying to win a debate. Why not search instead
      > for the truth ?
      >
      > So let me ask this . OK, suppose that the
      > laws of physics came with the matter.
      >
      > Then where did the matter come from ?l
      >

      > Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
      > See my Leibniz site at
      > http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough

      > From: Eray Ozkural
      > Receiver: ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com
      > Time: 2013-08-30, 13:39:41
      > Subject: Re: [ai-philosophy] Forum Heat Death
      >

      >> What if there is a quantum godputer with googol qubits? It's like Leibniz on a d-wave hype machine.
      >>
      >> --
      >> Eray Ozkural

      >>> I suspect that people with interesting ideas are too busy writing code to count
      >>> qubits on the heads of pins.
      >>>
      >>> A googol bottle of beer on the wall, a googol bottles of beer ...

    • Roger Clough
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013
        Hi Eray Ozkural

        Energy had to come from the same place as matter, since
        they are interchangeable via E=mc^2. Which means
        both came from Mind, as does everything.

        That's how Leibniz saw it. And I follow him out of
        necessity, for without him there is no Mind.
        It sefrtainty isn't in materialism.

        From: Eray Ozkural
        Receiver: ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com
        Time: 2013-08-30, 16:39:34
        Subject: Re: [ai-philosophy] Forum Heat Death

        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013
          I don't think your Leibniz argument makes any sense. That is, there
          were certainly minds before Leibniz :)

          On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM, Roger Clough <rclough@...> wrote:
          > Hi Eray Ozkural
          >
          > Energy had to come from the same place as matter, since
          > they are interchangeable via E=mc^2. Which means
          > both came from Mind, as does everything.
          >
          > That's how Leibniz saw it. And I follow him out of
          > necessity, for without him there is no Mind.
          > It sefrtainty isn't in materialism.
          >

          > Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
          > See my Leibniz site at
          > http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough

          > From: Eray Ozkural
          > Receiver: ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com
          > Time: 2013-08-30, 16:39:34
          > Subject: Re: [ai-philosophy] Forum Heat Death
          >

          >>Well you tell me where energy came from. :)
          >>
          >>What's hostile about a good joke? Watchmaker argument was never good and scientists don't take it so seriously.
          >>
          >>--
          >>Eray Ozkural
          >>http://myspace.com/arizanesil
          >>

          >>On Aug 30, 2013, at 10:47 PM, "Roger Clough" wrote:
          >>
          >>> Hi Eray Ozkural
          >>>

          >>> Wy are you so hostle ? I thught you were a scientist,
          >>> here you are trying to win a debate. Why not search instead
          >>> for the truth ?
          >>>
          >>> So let me ask this . OK, suppose that the
          >>> laws of physics came with the matter.
          >>>
          >>> Then where did the matter come from ?l
          >>>

          >>> Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
          >>> See my Leibniz site at
          >>> http://independent.academia.edu/RogerClough

          Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
        • walterhorn
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 31, 2013

            One difference between Leibniz and his contemporary fan here is that while Leibniz kept up with the current science of his day, Roger here is still mired in 17th Century proto-science.  There's not a doubt in the world that if Leibniz were on this list today, he'd look on most of the recent posts as humorous irrelevancies--and this in spite of his massive ego.

            I mean, he was smart.